Thread: I really want to use Vegas 12, but it won't stop crashing on me

Default I really want to use Vegas 12, but it won't stop crashing on me

Hey all

I have a copy of Vegas Pro 9. I really enjoy the software, I hadn't used it much before, and the system seemed both powerful and intuitive. I started bringing in clips from my GoPro to edit, and things seemed ok when I was only working with one clip ... but once I have cut the clip a few times, and want to preview the clips cutting to each other (I wasn't using transitions at all, just straight clips), the preview would lag and the program would quickly freeze and I would have to close it out in Task Manager. I would be monitoring system resources during this, it would show my CPU Usage fairly low at 15% ish.

This is what task manager gives:

apy3sRz.jpg

Also, in my current processes running menu, FileIOSurrogate.exe*32, as well as the vegas.exe file, would become huge. Closing out either application would successfully close out Vegas.

I thought maybe there was something wrong with my version, I couldn't find updates for Vegas 9, so I installed the trial version of Vegas Pro 12 64 bit. I end up with the exact same problem - things run fine until I've cut a long, HD cut a bunch of times, and want to view the cuts in succession. Say I have 2 minutes of clips that are 2-10 seconds in length. It will preview smoothly for about 20 seconds, and by 45 seconds in the program will have frozen solid.

Here are my system specs:

Windows Version: Windows 7 64-bit
    RAM: 8 GB (2x 4GB)
    Processor: Intel core i7-950, 3.06 GHz
    Video Card: EVGA GTX460, 1GB GDDR5, driver version 310.90
    Sound Card: onboard
    Video Capture: GoPro Hero 2, 1920x1080

I don't know what I will use if not Vegas, I guess I can try Premiere Pro, I have used Photoshop a fair amount and it has always been quite stable for me, but I'd like to make Vegas work if possible.

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it! I tried to post directly to the Sony Vegas forums, but you need a serial to post, and it did not accept the serial for my trial version of version 12.
    Last edited by wreckoning; 02-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckoning View Post
    I tried to post directly to the Sony Vegas forums, but you need a serial to post, and it did not accept the serial for my trial version of version 12.
    First off, what serial are you using? Where did you get it from? What was it for?

Next, try turning OFF GPU acceleration, if it is set to ON by default.

Also you haven't supplied detailed-details on:

1] Project Settings.

. . and . .

2] The mix and variation of the Media.

Next, are you using any FX-ing?

However . . . . Going back to your Vegas Pro 9 "issues", what version/build number are you currently on? VP9 was a very stable and competent platform to work on. Is this a registered copy? Have you moved it across from another PC? I am asking 'cos if it WAS working on a PC that was fine, then what exact issues are you now having?

... ... ...