Thread: Winter Sun | Nyamans, National Trust

Blog Entries

Default Winter Sun | Nyamans, National Trust

As usual, and much to my wife's annoyance, I took my camera on a stroll around a National Trust garden (this time, Nymans). I tried out a new monopod, which I found completely alien. In fact there were a few occasions when I realised I could get a much better shot if I took the camera off the monopod. Another learning experience. Whilst editing, I has another lesson - when filming, I often pay far too much attention to the buidlings, when I end up using much more footage of flowers and people. So, next time I will film with the thought that building shots are the establishing shots, whilst the wildlife (including the people) are the real subjects.

I think this has to be my least favourite video of yours Marc. The colour work seems really odd to me. There are some nice shots but the movement distracted.

Sorry.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback. By movement, you mean the camera shake?

Yes.

Blog Entries

More practice and less drink the night before. Or a tripod. You should have seen the footage with a non IS lens. I think I have gone backwards...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    So, next time I will film with the thought that building shots are the establishing shots, whilst the wildlife (including the people) are the real subjects.
    I'm not sure about them being the real subjects, but I've long been of the belief that buildings are best shot by showing people interacting with them - the most obvious examples being if stairs feature in the shot, show someone walking up them (either a whole shot or a close up of feet), if you show a doorway, show someone going through it, if there's a particular feature or a painting, show someone studying it.

Now for some idle speculation:
    As for the camera movement, I wonder whether the problem is we've become conditioned to seeing either rock steady shots or considerably more hand-held movement that your shots show. in other words i wonder whether, if not possible to stabilize, it's better to have wobblier shots!

Another possibility is that the images looked very professional and, of course, you'd played around in post - maybe this means the viewer's (in this case Midnight's) expectations are higher than if you'd left it with a straightforward "video" look.

Personally, I enjoyed it and didn't really find the slight wobbles distracting.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Default Winter Sun | Nyamans, National Trust

I've changed the uploaded version with stabilised shots where there was significant wobble. Is it more the micro twitches that you disliked Dave?

I can't remember the difference between the first version and this one it seems the same to me BUT it's not that the movement is bad. I suppose you have set your own bar very high for example the "My City" video you did. It has well framed rock solid steady shots, smooth sliding shots etc. For this video you didn't have a tripod so for me some of the shots contain micro movement from hand led shots which would have been better (IMO) using a tripod.

One thing I realised recently was that when you get to a certain level of camera craft competence, it becomes much harder to improve from that point. I think your ability to use a camera is very good, I think you have got a good eye for a shot etc. so you need pushing that much harder to improve.