Thread: What Software Can I Use For This?

Default What Software Can I Use For This?

Answered, thanks
    Last edited by Luca!; 03-30-2013 at 10:23 PM.

bump?? :/ In Sony Vegas I can do the Multiply(mask), but then the background goes all black. I want it so that I see ONLY the characters, not the background. The white silhouette is an outline of what I want to see, but without the texture applied. Anyone know??? :P

Is your question the same as you made here http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...ouettes-3.html ?

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Is your question the same as you made here http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...ouettes-3.html ?
    Yes, but I figured I'd post it in a place where it's not one program specific, since clearly Sony Vegas can't do this.

Without Photoshop's 'clipping masks', your solution may reqire you apply the same mask (your 'silhouette') separately to each layer; i.e. As a *luma* mask to the original; and an *alpha* mask to the background. Are you sure that Vegas cannot mask or key using Luma or Alpha?

Without Photoshop's 'clipping masks', your solution may reqire you apply the same mask (your 'silhouette') separately to each layer; i.e. As a *luma* mask to the original; and an *alpha* mask to the background. Are you sure that Vegas cannot mask or key using Luma or Alpha?
    I don't understand? I had two silhouettes with a Lumi and Alpha "Mask Generator" applied, but what do I do with them? I'm not sure that gets rid of the background, I think it comes out the same as just using the Multiply (mask) option.

I am sorry. My explanation was poor and unclear. I think I should have used the term 'Matte'.
    A mask is a path, a matte is a layer. In Premiere, there is an option to use a 'Track Matte'. AFAIK, a 'Track Matte' allows the transparancy of one layer to be determined by another. I have just done this in Premiere., If you can understand the principle, you may be better equipped to work how it can be done using other software.

1 top track = the b/w white silhouette.
    2 middle track= the original image
    3 background track= the new background.

I applied a 'Track Matte' to layer 2; using the Luma from layer 1.
    I applied a 'Track Matte' to layer 3; using the Alpha from layer 1. ( or I could have used the Luma value, and asked Premiere to 'reverse' the tracking.

(the top, middle and background images which I used.)
    Image2.jpgImage1.jpgImage3.jpg

and the required output: Image4.jpg
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 02-18-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added graphics

I am sorry. My explanation was poor and unclear. I think I should have used the term 'Matte'.
    A mask is a path, a matte is a layer. In Premiere, there is an option to use a 'Track Matte'. AFAIK, a 'Track Matte' allows the transparancy of one layer to be determined by another. I have just done this in Premiere., If you can understand the principle, you may be better equipped to work how it can be done using other software.

1 top track = the b/w white silhouette.
    2 middle track= the original image
    3 background track= the new background.

I applied a 'Track Matte' to layer 2; using the Luma from layer 1.
    I applied a 'Track Matte' to layer 3; using the Alpha from layer 1. ( or I could have used the Luma value, and asked Premiere to 'reverse' the tracking.

(the top, middle and background images which I used.)
    Image2.jpgImage1.jpgImage3.jpg

and the required output: Image4.jpg
    YESS! I'm pretty sure it's perfect, but I've only done it once.

I just have a question, the two videos (silhouette and original) come in one video. Is there a way to crop one of the two out, duplicate, and crop the other out, so then I have two videos? Cause if I do it this way I have to seperate the videos in Sony Vegas first, render them both, and do it. I don't have much a problem with it, but it takes a little bit longer than it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca! View Post
    YESS! I'm pretty sure it's perfect, but I've only done it once.
    Perhaps you would update your earlier thread, as a pointer to future readers to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca! View Post
    I just have a question, the two videos (silhouette and original) come in one video. Is there a way to crop one of the two out, duplicate, and crop the other out, so then I have two videos?
    I suspect you can put the one video onto two tracks, then use the Pan/Crop/Rotate related tools to rotate them in different directions. If you have problems with that, look for a 'tutorial' on YouTube. If you need specific help, you should start a new thread in these Forum. I don't use Vegas, so cannot assist you further.