Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value for Money - Club film

Blog Entries

Default Value for Money - Club film

2.5mins

Tim

Blog Entries

Technically very competent. Lighting, sound, editing all well done and I can't suggest any improvements but...

The script was dire and predictable and the acting is awful I'm afraid Tim. You need to get in touch with your local am-dram society and get some decent actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post

The script was dire and predictable and the acting is awful I'm afraid Tim. You need to get in touch with your local am-dram society and get some decent actors.
    ive seen worse acting .....much worse, in some of the club films i have sat through over the last 12 months

nicely lit, well edited...to be picky, i noticed a couple of sound issues and a bit of camera movement on a locked off shot.... as i said thats being picky.

only real negative from me is the "you could of" line was beginning to grate towards the end.

nice work.
    Last edited by enc; 02-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Agree with the comments above about the technical aspect. Was the focus on the cheque deliberately soft ?

I didn't think the acting was too bad and chuckled at the punch line. I thought the set looked really good, where was it ?

Blog Entries

Thanks all for your comments,

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Hah! That would miss the point (which, admitedly I haven't mentioned anywhere so you wouldn't know).
    The idea is to try to get everyone in the groups (we split into three groups) involved in some way in making a film. If we didn't do that there would be members who never have anything to do with film making. This is a "knock something together with whoever is available" sort of thing - it's more of an exercise in involvement than a production. And finding any plot that no one refuses to do is a feat in itself

The script is an interesting one - for the intended audience (ie people who belong to clubs, the vast majority of whom are well into retirement) it seems to come across as a bit saucy (one of the cast sauggested that "sleep with me" was a bit too near the knucke and wanted to change it for "share my bed") and for some reason they don't seem able to predict the punchline, though like you, I can see it coming a mile off.

Enc's experience of club comedies sounds much like mine. Maybe 5% are "proper" productions with a cast that can act (or a script which doesn't require a cast that can act) but the majority are often shot in the club house with ancient people badly playing the parts in old jokes. Whilst I'm obviously biased, I'm confident that this would fit in the upper half of that latter group of those comedies.

For what it's worth, the male actors weren't even capable of remembering one line at a time - incredibly frustrating for Debbie who'd been drafted in at the last minute due to an illness and was word perfect. I should, perhaps declare an interest and make clear she is my sister, but I thought she did a very good job and was at least a believable clich.

I was reasonably happy with it from a technical point of view. It was all shot with available lighting, a single LED 160 and a bank of 2 LED 160s. These with the "orange" filters on seemed to match the internal lighting fairly well. The wider shots could have done with a bit more light on the talent, but generally it was OK. Most shots I set up but left the cameraman to fine tune & shoot. This is definitely the way i should work. If further evidence was required then I point you to the out of focus cheque shot mentioned by Midnight. That one I set up but "because it was only a cutaway" (dear, oh dear) I pressed "record" myself, rather than bother Barrie - who would have at least taken the trouble to focus it! However, officially we'll claim it was to protect bank details.

Enc, you're right about sound issues. I've tidie it it as best I can then overlaid hotel lobby music and ambient, but it's still quite noticable if you're litening for it (and sticks out like a sore thumb to me). I think we take something avay with us from every project and for me in this one it was the importance of consistency in positioning of a boom. We also had an issue that Barrie's camera (Sony MC2000) does not appear to have a facility to attentuate the level of an external mic. Thus we having to feed a very low signal from my JuicedLink preamp (bad) and then teh preamp on the camera was boosting this and adding a lot of hiss (which seemed to be pretty even across the whole spectrum making it impossible to remove without turning everyone into daleks)

The camera movement was also annoying. No suitable alternatives available.

"you could have" - yes, difficult to know how many to put in to get the point across without it becoming annoying.
    Tim

Since Philip Seymour Hoffman and Judi Dench were not available, as well as the four Sony F65s, for this production.....

Ohh, I would love t have a Video Group of friends like yours close by! One pushing the other to make something!!!

Great work Tim. Im sure you all had fun planning and making it, what is all about our movies, right? And, as you said, "I think we take something avay with us from every project and for me in this one....."

Ohh, something I noticed: fours years account at Vimeo and just one video???

one more: not an HD render?
    Last edited by TonyBR; 02-16-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for watching, Tony, and your kind words. Yes it is fun and that should be what it is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Ohh, something I noticed: fours years account at Vimeo and just one video???
    I've always used YouTube for the simple reason that "everyone" is familiar with it (Say to someone "go to YouTube and search for Staines Video makers" and they'l understand, say "go to Vimeo" and half the people will say "How do you spell that" and not bother as they can't remember. I'm not at all concerned about the difference in quality as virtually all my stuff (certainly stuff I've shot myself) has been in Standard def and I have no pretentions (yest) of being any good as a ameraman -so YT is fine. I use Vimeo where I need to password protect a film, as in this case where i wanted to show it to members of our group only before showing it at the club yesterday.

I don't like to psot on both as "hits" will be double counted if someone watches it on both.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    one more: not an HD render?

Indeed it was. And an HD upload. I only have the free account and this only allows one HD vid per week and I'd already uploaded a previous version (slightly longer with yet another "You could have"). As I'm not really a Vimeo user i wasn't aware of this
    Tim

I liked it, I though the main aspects were well done - and the club members put in a lot of competent effort.
    The audio was a tad "strong" but understand the issues with one camcorder, although as this is a known issue, I wonder you don't record the mixed-mics to a SDHC recorder, using the camcorder audio for sync (in Edit)...?
    There is a "fix" if you PM me . . . but I've not had much success with PM as it appears to be a weak part of the site.
    BTW this is the 3rd reply, trying to get it Post...Oh good, it went through.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    The audio was a tad "strong" but understand the issues with one camcorder, although as this is a known issue,
    Sorry, don't understand what you mean by "strong". Please elaborate. (PM sent as well - I just mention it as I've never had an issue with PM here)

I wonder you don't record the mixed-mics to a SDHC recorder, using the camcorder audio for sync (in Edit)...?
    There is a "fix" if you PM me . . . but I've not had much success with PM as it appears to be a weak part of the site.
    BTW this is the 3rd reply, trying to get it Post...Oh good, it went through.[/QUOTE]
    Tim

Hi Tim

Very professionally done ... If it gets the from RB then hey it must be technically good.
    The lady reminds me of a lady in my street .... a real busy body but appreciate she was just acting (lol)
    Knew there would be a good punch line but must admit didn't guess it till it came .... liked it ...
    The acting was o.k but as it is comedy not an issue and kind of adds to it really.

Liked the close up for the delivery of the punch line and the whole thing worked very well in my opinion.

My only gripe Tim is the intro and ending music (lol) but again probably just me plus I'm just nit picking.

Apart from the music it gets the big thumbs up from me Tim ....... made me smile .

Good job as always Tim .... hope you had /having a great weekend

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast