Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General question about making a sequel to existing movie/ rights/trademarks

Default General question about making a sequel to existing movie/ rights/trademarks

Hi guys, i have a general question to you. Usually i should consult with movie lawyer,but i decided to write here first.

Lets say that i want to make a sequel to Titanic, or 5th (REC) movie (its example) or Terminator 4 or The Blair Which Project 2 or whatever.

Should i get in touch with the producers who made ex The Blair which project and pay them for some rights or trademarks or whatever so i can make a sequel to the movie ? Or its easy as just shoot and produce ?
    I was not able to find answer on google for that.

Cheers !

P.S. And what about when making a Re-make of exiting movie ?

It's not the same for each movie. Sometimes the rights stay with the producer when the studio wasn't the producer, sometimes the Studio has the rights, sometimes the writer only sold the rights of one story but kept the sequel rights, sometimes the total rights of a book with all characters etc was sold to a studio. Because there are such a lot of different set ups these days it's hard to say.

This is way beyond anything you should be looking for answers on the internet for so consult proper legal advice before doing anything.

Get this right or prepare for high priced lawyers to come kicking down your door and taking your house...You have to ensure you are covered against everything otherwise you may get 9 months into this process then have all film banned from ever being seen because you illegally made it.

Blog Entries

The bottom line is that anything that's published (and published has a load of different meanings) the copyright belongs to the author (likewise, dozens of meanings) for up to 100 years after his/her death (depending on country).

So, things like characters, plots, and unique circumstances belong to the original author (unless he sold the rights). In some cases even the title can be copyrighted unless it's in common usage. So "Titanic" can't be copyrighted as it's an adjective in common usage but "Blair Witch" could be. Terminator is also a noun in common usage so you could have a title like "The Crime Terminator" but using it in a way designed to associate it with a specific products, ie "Terminator (number)" could be a breach of copyright.

It's such a complicated field that, if you're going to do anything which you think "might" be problematic, you need to go to a proper media lawyer and do not, never, ever rely on what someone tells you online.

This is a joke right? Or you seriously think a multi-million dollar production is going to let Tom Dick or Harry make a sequel?

You could always take the risk and be inventive with the name, something like "Blur Watch Project". Change all the characters names etc...

No, on second thoughts, they'd still nail your arse to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You could always take the risk and be inventive with the name, something like "Blur Watch Project". Change all the characters names etc..

Something like "The Witch of Oz" perhaps???

Scene 01: Out/Daylight/Garden/Pastel colours....
    "Candice is a little girl running after a rabbit with a camera on her hands..... when a crazy guy with a mask attacks her using a huge chainsaw"

my remake of How the west was won is coming along nicely
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    This is a joke right? Or you seriously think a multi-million dollar production is going to let Tom Dick or Harry make a sequel?
    Apparently not:
    The Hobbit rights holder sues makers of Age of the Hobbits flick | Film | guardian.co.uk

Hehe, those Asylum films look entertaining - being sued certainly makes for great publicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast