Thread: Vine

Default Vine

Hello, I am new here and thought I would get the ball rolling by starting a discussion on Vine as nobody has beaten me to it

For those who may not have seen it yet Vine is a new video app (currently only available for iPhone but coming soon to other mobile devices) created by Twitter which allows you to create short 6 second movies/animations.

It would be interesting to know what other members have created so far who are using it and if you have any tips for making great (very short!) videos animations?

I have started an online Valentines competition for a client I work with The Cavendish London Hotel Facebook page and I am also keen to make some suggestions and show some examples for people who are thinking of entering.

I am unsure why Vine is so popular (for examples, see Vinepeek | Watch the world in realtime ) and don't currently have any plan to produce one, however; I can suggest lots of ways to produce a 6 second animation. It largely depends on what software you already have, and your competance at using it.
    IMHO, whether a clip lasts 6 secs or 2 hours; it is still subject to most existing cinemagraphic conventions. If Vine succeeds, perhaps the best lesson re-learnt is how a tremendous alot of information could be put across in 6 seconds. And to encourage the viewer to watchit/share it, or become engaged with that person's channel. All YouTube again - except with mercifully short clips.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I am unsure why Vine is so popular (for examples, see Vinepeek | Watch the world in realtime ) and don't currently have any plan to produce one, however; I can suggest lots of ways to produce a 6 second animation. It largely depends on what software you already have, and your competance at using it.
    IMHO, whether a clip lasts 6 secs or 2 hours; it is still subject to most existing cinemagraphic conventions. If Vine succeeds, perhaps the best lesson re-learnt is how a tremendous alot of information could be put across in 6 seconds. And to encourage the viewer to watchit/share it, or become engaged with that person's channel. All YouTube again - except with mercifully short clips.
    Thanks Tim. Vinepeek is quite addictive, will be good for inspiration!

I've just completed a vine series for a client for marketing purposes. It was interesting to use as a medium, we shot with actors and having to get everything correct in each take or jump back to the beginning was an exciting challenge for everyone.
    Sign offs and having to have clients at the shoot to ok before hitting go and no editing after was very productive.
    I think the tone of vine is fun and so should the content that exists with
    it.
    I think we'll see more companies picking it up, but in the meantime I am also enjoying watching friends try and be as innovative, fun and interesting with no knowledge on pro shooting and making it work.

Another interesting thing I have found is the notion of sound and accidental sound. There's no ability to lay over audio to an animation, you have to record whats around you, and inevitably someone or something often makes a random noise halfway through. At first this seems like a shame but after experimenting I really enjoy making crazy noises and soundtracks on vine.

I loves it to be honest, it is fun and as long as you take it for what iris there's lots of cool things that can be done

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    Another interesting thing I have found is the notion of sound and accidental sound. There's no ability to lay over audio to an animation, you have to record whats around you, and inevitably someone or something often makes a random noise halfway through.
    Thanks for the post. It was a very interesting. I had not been aware that the Vine app only handles video taken while the app is running (thus preventing the User from uploading a pre-recorded clip). Whilst some might be considerer it bad practice; a User could, I suppose, simply point their camera at a screen which it was displaying a pre-recorded clip. And perhaps no-one can tell the difference.

you could try that, I think it might look fairly obvious unless your really clever about it. However the thing with these apps is that they are embraced as being clunky and amateurish and that breeds inventiveness with the form and how you create stuff on there. There'll probably develop it a lot more but I think the best thing to do is go with it and challenge yourself by going back to basics

7. Default

I think it's very funny to see how quickly these Vines became very popular though - there are at least 6 or 7 Facebook pages, each with their own videos. I like the challenge that they bring - you have to be really inventive to make it work.

EDIT By the way, I'm new! Do I introduce myself somewhere, or just get to posting?

I bought a new iPhone, iPhone 42 and I would like this application vine to be downloaded. I am really happy to know about this application as I am very fond of doing documentaries and short films and mostly about http://www.artsupply.com/. Will this application work with all iPhone series?