Thread: Working with 120fps source films in AE

Default Working with 120fps source films in AE

There seems to be a hard limit of 99fps on importing the source files.

I guess I could load the file at 60fps, do all the work in slow motion and then re-import the result into premiere at 120fps back to normal speed. However that's a bit uncomfortable.

Id there any way of at least watching the replays at 120fps while working?

I am confused. Unless the monitor can refresh at 120Htz; I am not sure how to playback at 120fps clips, without dropping frames.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I am confused. Unless the monitor can refresh at 120Htz; I am not sure how to playback at 120fps clips, without dropping frames.
    Dropping frames is fine. What I'd like is to be able to drop 3/4 of the frames and see the footage at normal speed at 30fps while I work on the 120fps clip. That way, if I later apply an effect to slow the passage of time to 1/4 speed, AE doesn't need to guess (interpolate?) frames, it can just take the existing but previously dropped ones.

(I might make little sense. I still lack much basic knowledge about video edition and most of its vocabulary.)

AFAIK, inported 120fps into an AE 30fps sequence will initally all appear in slow motion. Effects like 'time stretch' can speed up those sections you want at full speed. I think a better explanation might be found here Adobe After Effects * Importing and interpreting footage items

AFAIK, inported 120fps into an AE 30fps sequence will initally all appear in slow motion. Effects like 'time stretch' can speed up those sections you want at full speed. I think a better explanation might be found here Adobe After Effects * Importing and interpreting footage items
    So I can import and interpret into a 30fps comp and time stretch to 25% to get my normal speed replay and at the points where I want the slow motion I just need to remove the time stretch and AE will take the frames from the original source.

Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanshin View Post
    Is that correct?
    Please try it and let us know. It seems logical to me.

Please try it and let us know. It seems logical to me.
    I'll try. I don't know if I'll be able to see the difference between interpolated frames and original ones, though. I'll have to film something fast and erratic.

Interpolated frames? AFAIK, no new frames need be created, unless you use 'frame belnding'.
    If I am correct, the slow motion part will be 100% accurate. All the original frames will appear. In the standard speed sections (which have had to be 'slowed down'), AE has a choice about how it handles the frames it has to 'drop'. AE has options for 'frame blending'' which I beleive can smoothen the result.