Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRO RES clips on Vegas?

Default PRO RES clips on Vegas?

Bumped to this article a few days ago, The New Sony NXCAMs Have Uncompressed 4:4:4 60p HDMI Outputs* - NoFilmSchool where it says that my little camera can output uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB colour (8 bits, I know...) timecoded clips through its HDMI port....

Well, if Im reading the right things, I learned that the quality of my clips are quite reduced when moving through an internal codec (AVCHD) from the lens/sensor to a SDHC card.... Although my camera is a single sensor and not all that big, the main bottleneck of quality seems to be (still) in the codec. Then, to get the best (uncompressed clips), I can use the HDMI output, using an external recorder that will save these files in another format.

What external recorder??? was my second question... Two main models jumped from searches: AJA KiPro Mini and Atomos NINJA 2... From price lists, just the Ninja survived...

But the point is: the files are saved in PRO RES format at a Ninja recorder, what I heard that is a good thing.... Can someone explain to me what can we do with this kind of file on Sony Vegas??
    Anything special (extra) needed to work with them?

Thanks,

Tony
    Last edited by TonyBR; 02-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.

My DSLR will do this as well. BUT I haven't got a Ninja yet. I don't know how Vegas will cope with Pro res. I'd like to know from someone who has experience with using it in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    My DSLR will do this as well. BUT I haven't got a Ninja yet. I don't know how Vegas will cope with Pro res. I'd like to know from someone who has experience with using it in Vegas.
    Yes, thats my next intention for an external recorder (D600), as it brings many extras (specially sound control, peaks, zebra, timecode, bigger LCD etc) that DSLRs are not great for. But all that goes down if someone says that Ill need a Mac to edit...

Vegas PRO 12 - from Sonys website

Supported File Formats

Opens: AA3, AAF, AIF, ASF, AU, AVC, AVCHD, AVI, BMP, BWF, CDA, DIG, DLX, DPX, DV, EXR, FLAC, GIF, H.264, HDP, IVC, JPEG, M2T, M2TS, MVC, MOV, Sony MXF (XDCAM and HDCAM SR), MP3, MP4, M4A, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, MPO, OGG, OMA, Panasonic MXF (DVCPRO, AVC-Intra) PCA, PNG, PSD, QT, R3D, SFA, SND, TIFF, TGA, VOX, W64, WAV, WDP, WMA, WMV

Saves: AA3, AC3, AIF, ATRAC, AVC, AVCHD, AVI, DPX, EXR, FLAC, H.264, HDP, MOV, MP3, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, MP4, M2T, Sony MXF (XDCAM and HDCAM SR), MVC, OGG, PCA, W64, WAV, WMA, WMV

DVD encoding
    Video: NTSC 4:3, NTSC Widescreen, PAL 4:3, PAL Widescreen
    Audio: AC-3 5.1 or stereo, PCM

Blu-ray Disc encoding
    Video: MPEG-2 or AVC, 1080-60i, 1080-50i and 1080-24p
    Audio: AC-3 5.1 or stereo, PCM

According to the Atomos website it does say Pro Res is compatible with Vegas. I believe the Avid DNxHD can also be used. HERE is a discussion about it on another Forum, they seem to be able to use it with no issues except they say they can't render it out in ProRes, which isn't really an issue unless you want to then put it not a Mac.

Yup, its compatible! Ill try to rent one before buying, to see if its really interesting. I saw a test at vimeo with the FS700 internal recording X Ninja recording, and the guy said that the gain was not enough to make him spend 1000U$ on the recorder. That will probably be the same with the D800....but maybe not with a smaller camera.

PS: compatible with Vegas PRO, not the Edit/Platinum versions
    Last edited by TonyBR; 02-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.

The D800 only records at 24Mbps in AVCHD so the potential gain is there to be had using the Ninja. My other camera can shoot at 100Mbps 4:4:2 an I've noticed a difference in editing. Mostly when colour correction is needed because there is more information to take from it seems better at handling it.

However I always aim at not having to do colour correction.

8. Default

Yea, Apple ProRes is read-only on the PC - you can read it, but you can not create it. (ffmpeg can convert to Prores, but it is not official codec from Apple)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I believe the Avid DNxHD can also be used. HERE is a discussion about it on another Forum
    MB,
    OT maybe, but the quoted discussion is from one of those SCS Forum reposting sites that use totally fake usernames. The text is the same as original though. I have gathered that linking to the original source won't work at the moment?
    Last edited by vkmast; 02-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.

There are some converters... I downloaded one (Cinemartin or something like that) that was linked at WIKIpedia page on Pro Res.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast