Dear computer friends,
Hi, I have viewed the “Tell us your High Specced Spec” and didn’t really want to start a new thread just for me, but I would really appreciate some advice.
My PC is 8 years old and no longer up to spec for my requirements, and so I wondered whether kind folk on this forum would please help me choose the components for a new PC?
* Flawless HDV/AVCHD editing with no (or bare minimum) lag, even when using multiple tracks and loads of effects in Sony Vegas, After Effects CS6, etc.
* Firewire IEEE 1394 (for my external soundcard, though is this necessary now there’s USB 3.0?)
* i7 processor (or any you think might be better)
* Graphics card that will have OpenGL compatible with Photoshop CS6 and (hopefully) beyond
* USB 3.0 – the more the merrier (I’ve been advised by a helpful computer expert that in order to get 8 or more USB 3.0 ports I will require addon-on PCIe cards (?), so I should make sure to get a motherboard with that as an option, (though all USB’s don’t have to be 3.0. A mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 would be OK, I just want lots of connectivity options).
I hope the above gives a general idea of what I’m looking for – a very high spec computer that will be extremely fast and will last me for years to come.
Here is a list of components I have narrowed down:
Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX670
Hard-drive (for O.S.): 256GB SSD
Hard-drives (storage) 2x1 TB RAID 0 striped set (whatever that is, I gleaned it from another forum)
I’ve also read on the web that it is cost-effective to have a front-loading SATA drive bay fitted, so one can remove and insert bare SATA drives that will run at full speed. What do you think about that?
I must admit, I am out of my depth here, and have no idea about motherboard, chipset, monitor, fan, or case, and wonder if my need for Firewire will pose a problem? Is USB 3.0 about as fast as Firewire? For example, is it possible to get a Firewire to USB 3.0 adapter so I don’t have to bother with a Firewire connection? I need my Firewire external soundcard to connect my guitar, MIDI keyboard and microphones.
Do you have any suggestions to improve on and help complete my list (motherboard, chipset, monitor, fan, case)? I won’t say money isn’t an issue; obviously the best “bang for the buck” is preferred, but I will stretch to whatever it takes to get the perfect PC (for my requirements). If you can think of better value options than the ones I listed, I would really like to hear your input.
Thank you so much for your time.