Thread: Noob advice for PC build

Default Noob advice for PC build

I'm looking to build a pc for general use but will also be doing some editing possibly HD. I'd like some generic advice.
    I will base the system on windows 8 using CS6 with an i7 chip and 16 GB ram. The question is do I need a video card and if I do can I start low end (any recommendations) or is there a motherboard with suitable onboard graphics? Also any advice on drives appreciated bearing in mind my budget won't stretch to SSD.
    Also bear in mind this will be my general day to day machine I have read that a video editing pc should do nothing else. Any feedback or comments appreciated.

Blog Entries

As you intend to use CS6, I suggest that you get a graphics card that is on the list of compatible Mercury playback engine cards:

Mercury Playback Engine | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - Adobe.com

I see there no (real world) reason why you can't use you PC for other things! Please note that most geeks will npo doubt suggest otherwise based on "optimal performance", but that's for benchnmarking, not the real world. If I were you, I'd buy a small SSD for the boot and then a couple of large drives for your videos. that shouldn't stretch the budget too much.

- Never install any codec packs unless from Adobe/Avid/Someone who pays a small fortune to make the product
    - Don't fill the PC with freeware that is going to bloat the registry and break it
    - Avoid websites that like to install rubbish on your system

Apart from that, a video edit system can be just like a regular PC as mark has said. The graphics card I would encourage you to consider carefully! Your performance could double with not much extra expense

Thanks so much for advice. I'm just specking it up heres what I have:
    Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 247
    Corsair 2 * 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory 38.83 *2 = 78
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    I've selected that motherboard as I find Gigabyte reliable but could go for anything.
    I can probably justify another 100 on a SSD drive but for that, it'll only house the OS and not CS6 and the lessert expensive SSD's (I have a an OCZ) are quite slow.
    Any thoughts advice on the mobo, SSD & particularly suggestions for a graphics card as I am struggling to find a CS6 compat for less the 200.
    Many thanks for help.
    Last edited by Davidj; 02-05-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Noob advice for PC build

I have samsung 830 ssd drives on two systems with no complaints. You need to keep cs6 on a seperate drive to your video files. Definitely install it on the ssd and have your video files on seperate discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You need to keep cs6 on a seperate drive to your video files. Definitely install it on the ssd and have your video files on seperate discs.
    I am just wondering what is the point / benefit of this ?

Thanks...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juc1 View Post
    I am just wondering what is the point / benefit of this ?

Thanks...
    Performance optimisation. Your discs don't have to work as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Performance optimisation. Your discs don't have to work as hard.
    OK so do you mean all software (OS, CS6, and anything else) on the same SSD or is it better still to split these into different SSD's?

Thanks...