Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights powered by D-tap connection

1. Default Lights powered by D-tap connection

Hey Lads,

I got a little bit of a problem here. I went out and I bought my-self an Swit 2000 Light for my Sony A1E camcorder. The problem is, is that the Swit 2000 Light can only be powered by a D-tap connector (which my sony a1e does not have). The other way I can work around this is by buying the Swit S8u62 battery which does have a D-tap connector port built into it (that will cost 130.00), but then I will have to buy an additional charger to charge that battery which will cost even hundreds more.

So i'm stuck as I don't know if I should now sell my Swit 2000 or keep hold of it for when I upgrade to another camera. But even then I still don't know about D-tap as I see that Pags is on a different voltage etc... than that of Swits, so can I use a Swit via a dtap in a Pag battery etc....

Please can any one explain to me how D-tap does work within this industry ? And what I would have to do in order to finally get power to my Swit 2000 Light ?

Cheers

Gaz
    GRP Television: Camera Operator

The DTap connector is push fitted into Cam batteries that have the DTap female. These brick batteries normally power larger cams, so pretty useless on your A1e as the battery would be larger than the cam. My suggestion, would be to either sell the light, or get a 12v alarm battery in a shoulder bag (they come made to measure) and connect a DTap female into the bag.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

3. Default

Hey Zero,

Thanks for that info mate. Yea I know that it's V Lock Batteries that have these D-tap connections, hence me saying when I upgrade my camera sometime as I want a good shoulder mount cam.

Zero I like your 12v alarm battery idea but how do you connect the "D-tap" into them batteries ? Do the batteries have a female "D-tap" built into them or something. And again many thanks for your time to this mate. It's not gone on looked.

Hi - I've used 12v alarm batteries for powering cams in the past, I even have a few shoulder bags for them as they get used to power all sorts of lghts etc. The DTap, in my case isn't part of the battery, but part of the battery mounting plate. I know you can buy the female DTap in the UK to wire into the battery bag plug yourself, but can't remember where. Try Google

PIC ONE - Alarm Battery in shoulder bag showing inline fuse and input connection

PIC2 SHOWING LIGHT CONNECTED TO BATTERY PACK

PIC 3 SHOWING THE DTAP FEMALE INPUT ON MY CAM

If you can obtain this 'input' then solder to output on the battery pack - you're away
    Last edited by Zero; 02-04-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: pics added
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

5. Default

Hey Zero,

Again many thanks for your informative reply..... I think that I'm starting to get this..... but i'm still unsure, am I right in saying that the 12 V battery would connect via a wire to the V mountain plate and it is the v mountain plate that does hold a female dtap port which I then could plug my light into?

Again I'm brand new to all this, but I do know that I like your shoulder bag idea as I can see my-self running around with a set up like that. Again I'm I getting any closer lol ? ;p

Gaz
    GRP Television: Camera Operator

Nearly right - You wouldn't need the mounting plate that has the DTap in connection, just the DTap input connector that would be wired directly (fuse inbetween of course) from the 12v battery pos/neg.
    A few UK suppliers list them - IDX (DTap) 2-Pin D-Tap Connector (Male)
    You'd then plug your light into the battery pack and off you go. If I find time I'll post a pic of the battery holder case. (pics added on post above)
    Last edited by Zero; 02-04-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Hmmm Thinking laterally . . . you don't even need the DTap. Presuming your light is 12v, just buy a bag, alarm battery and a plug. Snip the Dtap male off your light and wire a plug on the end, as in the pic.

8. Default

Zero you are a man of Education... Thank you so very much for posting this valuable information

I'm not exactly sure what V's the Swit 2000 is ? As it says

• 4 LED Light with Barn Doors
    • Diffuser, 3200k Filter and Shoe Mount
    • Input : DC 10V~17V
    • Power Consumption : 12W
    • Colour Temperature : 5600K
    • Weight : 270g
    • Dimension : 100 x 75 x 60mm
    • Illuminance : 550 lux (1m)
    • Controllable Dimmer
    • 2 pin D-Type Connection
    • Accepts power from Mount plates or Camcorders with D-Tap connection

I have a friend who does install Alarm Batteries for a living and he appears to be clued up on this kind of stuff, so I guess that I'll ask him what he thinks. Again Zero your the man and many thanks for posting mate

Any basic leccy should be able to wire a plug connector from the light (appears to accept 12volt) to the battery. I even have a spare bag, including plug socket if you need one (20 inc P&P)

10. Default

Zero you take paypal if so then pm me your e-mail address ? best to go through video forums mail system though

Late Entry: Just tried to send you an email through video forums mail system but I can't tell if it sent it ?
    Last edited by Strober; 02-05-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast