Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animated and edited music video

Default Animated and edited music video

Using music by some friends, I animated and edited this clip. It contains one or two 'special FX'. I recommend it is viewed in HD, if possible.

Blimey Tim, this has to be your mast piece. It's definitely the best animation video I've seen by you. Both the animation, effects, and narration really kept my interest throughout the whole length of the video and a 6:23 that's quite something. I think the music helped but it was the visuals that you put with the music that really brought this piece alive. I loved the 4th dimensional clocks but there are too many specific parts that had the wow factor to mention really.

Well done.

Blog Entries

Very impressive. Whether it was any good or not I don't really feel qualified to say - I presume it was pretty good. (That's not means as a snub or a feeling that I don't care - I genuinely don't know as it is outside any frames of reference I have)
    I seemed to be jam packed with ideas and it was very much in sync with the music.

I feel very old.
    Tim

Excellent! I'm going to watch it over and over, and purloin some of your techniques.

Hey man, that's very creative. Can you give a little background info, like how long it took, what inspired you, maybe some of the tools. Blender? Premiere or VegasPro?
    Last edited by budwzr; 01-31-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Awesome and excellent Tim.

The music let you down a bit, losing it's drive for a minute or two in the middle there. Hardly fair on you to try and keep the story going with visuals alone. I'd be editing that music so it was constantly pumping for 4 minutes rather than have 6 minutes like it is.

As for yourself, you should be making big money, plenty of abstract bands need this kind of stuff.

Thank you for your comments.
    On YouTube, it is very rare for music videos in this genre of music to get much more than some awful footage of a gig, or simply a single image containing the name of the track and band. I am over 50 years old; and had I seen this clip my reaction would be similar to TimS. It is not a music style which I have any particular favour with.

The clip contains a collection of somewhat unrelated FXs and an incomplete storyline. I edited, as best I could, to discourage the viewer from taking their eyes off the screen. It re-creates some of the scenes and ideas from HG Well's book and the 1960's film of "the time machine", mixes in some absurd and unexpected scenes; and then links them all up to the real musicians. Even so, my general ignorance meant that I could not adjust the scenes to retain a similar look and feel.

The software used includes 'Poser Pro' for the animation, 'After Effects' for the complex spectrograms and mandelbrot patterns; and 'Premiere' to stick everything together. I also wrote a number of scripts to handle complex scenes such as the dancing crowd and the multiple moving clocks. If anyone wants a high quality copy of the video, the 280Mb MP4 file can be downloaded from here: http://tima.uk.com/media/ThroughTime_final.zip

Whilst being flattered that anyone might learn from the clip, I suspect the most useful lesson is that a viewer can become bored with an FX very quickly. However much the colours and shapes move around; the viewer's interest may only last for less than 5 seconds. So, even an effect which may have taken a few hours to produce will only be visible for a very short time. For this clip, I created more animation and effects than I needed; and although it brings tears to my eyes; some of scenes never got to appear in the clip.

I loved the first 3 minutes so much, I then kinda dozed off along with the music, and spent 2 minutes waiting for it to come back pumping again. So I lost the story, but the thing was so complex, I just figured it was my misunderstanding - so congrats on that piece of deception, I think that's an art form

For the clips that never got used, do as they do - extended 12" remix

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Thank you for your comments.
    It is not a music style which I have any particular favour with.
    It re-creates some of the scenes and ideas from HG Well's book and the 1960's film of "the time machine",
    I also wrote a number of scripts to handle complex scenes such as the dancing crowd and the multiple moving clocks.
    Whilst being flattered that anyone might learn from the clip, I suspect the most useful lesson is that a viewer can become bored with an FX very quickly.
    Tim, I thought I saw the Creature From The Black Lagoon in there too. That thing gave me nightmares as a child. I'm 50ish too.

I never get bored with "fresh", well executed fX, hahaha. I was born to create Motion Graphics, but they didn't have that at the time, so I'm a late bloomer, hahaha. I spent many years making "Marketing Materials", like reports, flyers, brochures, etc. Lack of attention span isn't something new, it's just more noticeable because everything speeded up about a year ago. The broadcast industry has finally gotten up to speed with HD, and they trying to tie it into the web, so there's a lot going on, and people want to pick and choose.

Digital signage makes an instant impression, and can relay a lot of information quickly, almost instantly. Motion Graphics transmit at the speed of light, and the brain can receive at this speed much faster than anything else. Like music, you just need a great "hook". This is where "Trance", or electronic music fits. It's like mayo on a sandwich. It smooths the ingestion, and adds flavor, hahaha. The intelligent brain loves "Trance", or "EDM" as they call it.

I just downloaded your "Final", so I'll be back. Thanks for posting that.

This crowd scene is interesting. Blender, right? Something like the beer commercial. I like it.
    Crowd.jpg

Reverse Shatter! Very clever.
    Image1.jpg

Excellent! Complex 3D environment. I like it.
    Nice%u002525203D.jpg

This one too. Nice technique.
    Nice%u002525203D%25202.jpg

Shot from an emitter with forces creating the swirl? Nice work.

I can't post any more screenshots, but I really liked the ending with the animation in the background. I'm not really into character animations, but it sure looks like a lot of work. We use different tools, but the work is the same.

Bud

P.S. I don't know why that 5th picture became a separate attachment, it breaks the flow of the conversation though. Must be a bug in the BB software.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by budwzr; 01-31-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I just downloaded your "Final", so I'll be back.
    Thank you for your additional comments and review.

Although I used Poser (not Blender), the scene used around 3 rows of characters, randomly located (x,y,z) within parameters to minimise collisions; with random and randomly timed poses. By reversing clips (in time and then mirrored) I could overlay the clip to create a larger crowd. I would have preferred to work with 1,000 characters; but my PC and my lifetime are limited.
    Crowd.jpg

The 'Reverse Shatter' was done in After Effects; which I can get limited time with. I would rather have used Trapcode software - but I don't have any access to it. I like the notion of managing millions of particles. Its a bit like wanting to play god.
    Image1.jpg

Once again, done in Poser. Each clock is a separate object. I wrote code to position them all and set their time positions. In post, I speed it up and added a little motion blur.

Wow, that is incredible!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast