Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Spill Help - Green Screen

1. Default Color Spill Help - Green Screen

I recently had to move my home studio to a smaller room, forcing me to stand closer to my green screen which as can guess is killing me with spill. I spend a lot more time setting up too now to try to eliminate this before post. I currently use a green muslim or cotton rag. I am looking for a better screen to help eliminate bounce back. I am currently looking at eefx screens. Has anyone used these screens and how is the bounce back. I am also considering using blue as it seems blue will absorb the light more and create less bounce. Also the eefx diagram seems to spread the light out more so maybe I can use less light on the screen.

I am now standing 2 - 3 feet from the screen and it is a big pain doing so but it is all I have for right now. My last youtube video I got sick of watching and fixing I just let it ride with the errors. It wasn't too bad but I like to do it right.

Does anyone have any other advice that could help....I can't stand any further away. Thanks!

You can turn down the lighting to reduce the green reflecting back. The important thing about shooting a green screen is the evenness of the colour not how bright it is this is true of all chroma key work whether that's blue, red pink or green, it's the evenness of the colour not the brightness.

Another thing you can do is set up a back light or rim light to bring you out of the background and reduce the affect of any green spill.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You can turn down the lighting to reduce the green reflecting back. The important thing about shooting a green screen is the evenness of the colour not how bright it is this is true of all chroma key work whether that's blue, red pink or green, it's the evenness of the colour not the brightness.

Another thing you can do is set up a back light or rim light to bring you out of the background and reduce the affect of any green spill.
    Thanks, However my lights are not adjustable. I kinda built the setup for when I had more room. I might have to but some lower wattage lights or adjustables. I currently do have some hotspots but its ok as I have a large screen and I garbage that spot out as I don't use it. So for the most part the area in use is pretty even. Have you used the eefx screens? Also for the backlight I do not have much room but I did place one behind and below me a bit. I would normally place one overhead but no room.

I've never used eefx screens so I can't help with that. It would be better if you could have the back light slightly from above rather than from below so you get a nice rim around the head and shoulders. These are usually the key areas.

Do you see what I did there, puns are great, key as in chroma key, I amaze my self some times.

5. Default

I've never used eefx screens so I can't help with that. It would be better if you could have the back light slightly from above rather than from below so you get a nice rim around the head and shoulders. These are usually the key areas.

Do you see what I did there, puns are great, key as in chroma key, I amaze my self some times.
    Yeah just not much room....maybe I can mount one of them tube like flourescents, nice pun

Quote Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
    I am also considering using blue as it seems blue will absorb the light more and create less bounce.
    I had thought that 'green' was more suitable when filming human skin tones; but 'blue' was better for everything else.

I think that's generally true Tim, except for filming blonds.

8. Default

I think that's generally true Tim, except for filming blonds.
    So you guys don't think blue would make more of a difference in absorbing the light?

The only real way to know is to try it but that means expense for you. Is the project worth the expense. Can't you reduce the green screen lighting some how ? Take a tube out of the fitting or what ever you're using.

10. Default

The only real way to know is to try it but that means expense for you. Is the project worth the expense. Can't you reduce the green screen lighting some how ? Take a tube out of the fitting or what ever you're using.
    I was thinking of picking up one of their 5x3 screen on their clearance page to test it out. It cost like $15 and should be enough to test it on. I would just rather put the $15 towards a bigger size if I was confident it would work well. As for lighting I cut down to the bare minimum that I have to use which two 350Watt CFL to fill the screen. I was thinking of trying to just blast the light fully from the front and not light the screen separately. One of series of videos I edit at work they just full blast from the front and it works surprisingly well. It actually amazes me how well it works and the guy sits like a foot from the green screen, no shadow even at all. As or the project worth it, it is to get that YouTube money so YouTube money is funding it so it kinda is worth it....I will let ya know if it works for me. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast