Thread: Need help, please... Do you know any cheap, indoor, London locations?

Default Need help, please... Do you know any cheap, indoor, London locations?

Hello everyone

I have my usual list of cheap, indoor London locations I use although none of them are particularly attractive and I revert to greenscreen if necessary.

However, I was wondering if anyone knows any really cheap, very attractive indoor locations where I could plug in a few lights and shoot. Any genre, anywhere within the M25 - anything I could use that would be attractive and appropriate for a future music vid.

And incidentally, I am aware of the usual location agencies but I am looking for quick, cheap and dirty locations where I can get in, shoot and get out again at minimal cost without being arrested.

Would anyone have any ideas?

I can't help you with specifics for London ( I'm from up North) BUT last time I paid for a place to shoot, I used my local church hall, 50 for the night including tea making facilities and toilets.

Dirty/ what sort of vids. . .
    Or try an hotel, or pub (out of hours!), etc.... IMHO, church halls tend to be plagued by Echo . . . but close-micing should fix that . . . more of less.
    Hotel will be Softer and good for shower scenes (if a little tight for space), and maybe they would welcome some shots for prospective Weddings/Business Meets. That way you may get a free lunch, too.

Good luck.

I have a hall in Central London where I can shoot free of charge at weekends. It is zone one, near tubes etc... and in addition have an outdoor shooting area I can use where a number of big, Hollywood movies were shot.

However, I am also looking for something similar - more free, attractive shooting areas in London.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

I'm guessing you are trying to get away from going gorilla, so take a visit to your local borough council office and ask for the applicable department. My local council has a filming unit and are very open to people filming around the city. If you explain to them who you are and what you want to do they could be very accommodating to you. In York where I live, big film companies have to pay but small indys don't have to.

This is of course only good for out door locations. At the very least you will find out about the local by laws of the area. For indoor locations it's up to you to do some scouting, then when you find a place you think id right for you. Find out who owns it etc. and ask them if they will let you film there. Explain how it won't be inconvenient for them, how you will give them a credit in the film etc.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-31-2013 at 06:22 PM.

It depends on what type of scenery you are looking for.

If it is an olden-days look, then you want to check out the Library Bar at the Lanesborough Hotel. I think you can reserve it for your party, so they won't mind if you bring in a camera, since you basically own the room while you are in it.

If you are looking for a modern feel, then nothing beats the Lobby Bar at One Aldwych. You will have to promise that you aren't there to stalk celebrities.

Try the Kai restaurant -- even if they don't let you do any filming, you will enjoy the food (a nice change from bangers and mash).

I filmed a whole bunch in and around Covent Garden with camera, lights and a reflector (no boom however) and nobody looked at me twice. It is a very nice spot, if a tad busy. There are two levels, so you can be on the top level and film your actors below, or vice versa -- this worked very well for me and is probably the best "on a budget" spot.

You probably won't be able to film in the tube. I asked nicely and they responded not-so-nicely (something lame about the lights being a fire hazard).

Anyway that's all I can think of.

Zam
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I think UK Rail-Companies (and AIrports too no doubt) are very sniffy with their customers doing anything other than being taken for a ride. Best thing is to look like a tourist and move-on quickly.

( Isn't Green screen great? ).

I think OP wants something free, though.
    Er, where is this free venue? [Post#4], Can I come too? (second camera, perhaps)....

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    I think UK Rail-Companies (and AIrports too no doubt) are very sniffy with their customers doing anything other than being taken for a ride. Best thing is to look like a tourist and move-on quickly.

( Isn't Green screen great? ).

I think OP wants something free, though.
    Er, where is this free venue? [Post#4], Can I come too? (second camera, perhaps)....
    Sure, just shoot me a PM and I can let you know dates / times. What's your kit like?
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen