Thread: Record on HDV or FLASH card

Default Record on HDV or FLASH card

...I have been tearing my hair out over this. I am looking to upgrade my camcorder. Im in a dilemma over whether to stick to recording on HDV (MiniDV) or move to flash storage. My two options are:

Canon XH A1s (HDV)
    Canon XF300 (Flash)

Im starting to get annoyed with capturing off tape as it is time consuming...also the issue with the camcorder head wearing out due to over-use. But I like the fact that recording on tape is uncompressed.

Then there is recording to compact flash cards. I have heard good things about the Canon XF300 and that way I could just drag & drop footage onto ky PC. I shoot mainly weddings.

Any opinions/suggestions would be welcome.

That "uncompressed" notion goes the rounds . . but I'm not convinced it's true - the electronics draws data off the sensor and then has to make it into images - so I suspect that modern compression is needed because the data-rate has increased, not because tape was so much better.

SDHC and similar memory is cheaper than CF (surprise!) and they both have advantages with playback (over tape which has to be rewound and then fast-forward) . . . so the future is definately solid-state . . . being lighter and more reliable. Also using less battery power means Mfrs can charge more for less chamical and still give us something about an hour.

I believe the XF300 to be an excellent camcorder, but have't used one myself.

Blog Entries

Default Record on HDV or FLASH card

Quote Originally Posted by shaf View Post
    ... been tearing my hair out over this. I am looking to upgrade my camcorder. But I like the fact that recording on tape is uncompressed..
    HDV recorded to tape is compressed. Not a heavily as AVCHD, but compressed nonetheless. Editing software has now caught up with the demands of AVCHD editing, so there should be no concerns there.

Blog Entries

It's all compressed!
    Standard Definition to MiniDV uses intra frame compression only - that is each frame is comressed individually - it can be reconstructed with only the datat from that compressed frame. Other forms use interframe compressions - they require reference to other frames, and "I" frame is a complete frame and you have up to 15 frames (I believe) either side which can only be reconstructed by reference to the I frame.

Think about it - an hour of standard definition on MiniDV take 13GB
    An hour of HDV on the same tape is 13GB!

Ignore vidmanners comment about SDHC. As I'm sure you're aware the XF300 uses CF because it is capable of sustaining greater tranfer speeds. Only class 10 SD cards can manage this. The XF300 records to card at up to 50Mbps. It also uses 4:2:2 colour sampling. These together mean you get much more detail captures and much more latitude for playing in post - great for grading. Whilst i've not played with the XF300, I have worked with footage from the XF100 and found it superb. There's a pro at our club (who shot the footage) and he now has teh XF300 as well - which after six months of indecision and a couple of trips to Creative Video to try the things he bought in preference to a BMD Cinema Camera (to be fair he's a wildlife cameraman so the BMD was somewhat less practical for him)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's all compressed!
    Standard Definition to MiniDV uses intra frame compression only - that is each frame is comressed individually - it can be reconstructed with only the datat from that compressed frame. Other forms use interframe compressions - they require reference to other frames, and "I" frame is a complete frame and you have up to 15 frames (I believe) either side which can only be reconstructed by reference to the I frame.

Think about it - an hour of standard definition on MiniDV take 13GB
    An hour of HDV on the same tape is 13GB!

Ignore vidmanners comment about SDHC. As I'm sure you're aware the XF300 uses CF because it is capable of sustaining greater tranfer speeds. Only class 10 SD cards can manage this. The XF300 records to card at up to 50Mbps. It also uses 4:2:2 colour sampling. These together mean you get much more detail captures and much more latitude for playing in post - great for grading. Whilst i've not played with the XF300, I have worked with footage from the XF100 and found it superb. There's a pro at our club (who shot the footage) and he now has teh XF300 as well - which after six months of indecision and a couple of trips to Creative Video to try the things he bought in preference to a BMD Cinema Camera (to be fair he's a wildlife cameraman so the BMD was somewhat less practical for him)
    Thanks for the response guys.im now leaning towards the XF100- beautiful looking camcorder, perfect for an Asian wedding where there is a lot of running around involved.