Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie at editing movies, need help on Sony Vegas 11.

Default Newbie at editing movies, need help on Sony Vegas 11.

Hello,

I am quite new at editing movies... I got myself Sony Vegas Pro 11, and thought I could learn how to edit my films created with GoPro Hero2 HD. I have clipped it like I want to and I have added music. The only problem I got now is that it is so choppy/ laggy when previewing :( I have seen alot of tutorials on youtube, and I found an setting that was almost ok in prewiev, but when I tried to make an .mp4 file of it, it was horrible... I need some serious help on what video settings I need to upload my editet GoPro shoots to youtube

~Limert.

Set the project properties to match the original footage properties size, frame rate etc. Change the pixel format to 8 bit.
    Reduce the Preview quality so it will run smoother
    BEFORE rendering change the pixel format to 32 Bit floating point (video levels) in the project properties, then render out the footage to the same setting you have in the project properties.

This is about all you can do.

Hi Limert, guess that we may be talking about a few different things at the same time. Sorry if Im raining over wet ground, but Ill start with the basics to make sure we get to a common ground, ok?

1) Resolution: there are 3 moments when you choose the "resolution" you want on the final film:

a) while filming - Your GoPro gives you a few options (HD or SD) If you want the best image (at a cost of disk space and frame rate), choose 1080 HD with 16:9 ratio (its R5 on my GoPro 1)

b) while rendering - after importing your clips (files) to the editor (make sure you import them with the same quality) and doing your editing, you will have to render/export it in a file format that you can upload to YT (.mp4 is OK). Just make sure that you export the video in a HD quality too. Better image = bigger files!

c) while watching at YT - its amazing how many people never found the "settings" button at YT, watching most things in SD (default option at YT). Select 720 or 1080 for HD, but some delays are possible if your connection is not fast enough...

The other thing we may be talking "at the same time" is the quality of your preview window at Vegas.... If you set it to maximum resolution, it will probably look laggy, as the processing of your computer will too high.... Even on super computers is hard to get ultra quality and smooth playing while editing/previewing. Thats why rendering/exporting takes so long: the computer processing slows down to make sure that all the details of your film will be there at the final file.

Look on top of the preview window (top right) the settings buttons, and choose a preview/full or half mode to see if that helps. Half is sinilar to SD, Full to HD, but both under a less processing-demanding mode called preview.

Not sure if Im making any sense now.... but Im trying...

3 replies in 4 minutes!!! Wow!!!

Woah! That was fast :P Thnx alot for the tips! It looks like it's working perfectly good now, I am rendering now and can't wait to see the results

TonyBR, THANKS ALOT! That made the clip PERFECT UL to YT now. Now as I have learned this, got any tips on how to make parts of an movie fast motion? then back to normal?

You need to use the Velocity envelope. Right click on an event and select insert remove envelope then choose envelope. You will see a green line on the time line event double click the like to make a key frame and move the line up to go faster and down for slower. It can take a bit of practise to get things to look right so don't rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You need to use the Velocity envelope. Right click on an event and select insert remove envelope then choose envelope. You will see a green line on the time line event double click the like to make a key frame and move the line up to go faster and down for slower. It can take a bit of practise to get things to look right so don't rush it.
    Thank you! I will practice alot, and I don't rush at this as I want to learn it proper so I can edit more footage taken with GoPro mounted on my car

And if you take VeloEnvel into Negative Values Motion goes backwards!

. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast