Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mac laptop for video editing???

Default Which Mac laptop for video editing???

Finaly decided to take the jump to a Mac as I have been getting a few little jobs on the road but have to wait til I get home to edit them so which is the best Mac laptop to go for???

Blog Entries

What makes you consider a Mac for editing? Absolutly nothing against macs, but if you don't already have a Mac as your main system, it would be a challenge to operate a Windows and Mac. For example sharing edits between two systems. So, before answering this one, will you be using this as an alternative or compliment to your current PC editing system.

It seems that everybody who I am working with or for are using them and I normally get strange looks when I say I am using a non Mac system.

And from what I understand from people in the industry they are the best way to go.

What would you recommend?

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. By getting a mac, you're realistically limited to either FCPX or Premiere. If you are new to either, you face a learning curve, additional expense and no comparability with past or current projects. However, if you're happy with this, acknowledge that you won't see any improvement on your output and are willing to spend over 2k then here are my thought.

Screen size

I've played with all screen sizes and I feel the 15" gives the best viewing size to portability ratio. The 17 looks like a beast and the 13 doesn't give you much retail space.

System drive

Get an SSD. It's a must fit me. On my windiws laptop, the addition means boot times of seconds. I can have premiere and running a few seconds later. You don't need a huge one, particularly as they are expensive as an apple upgrade (about double the price of buying an ssd)

Scratch disks

You'll want to store media on another drive. On my windiws laptop, I have this installed in place of an optical drive. This isn't an option om the standard mac upgrades, so you would need to do this yourself. The other option is a thunderbolt external drive

Processor

I normally go for the second most expensive option. No point in paying the premium for an incremental increase

Ram

Upgrade this yourself to the max the spec allows

All in, you're looking at about 3k

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    All in, you're looking at about 3k
    I disagree, I found the cost of my laptop far cheaper than 3k
    3XS - Configure your Scan Performance 17" Laptop
    My final cost was 1900
    15inch screen 1920x1080 res
    Quad core I7 with hyperthreading I get 8
    16GB of ram
    128GB SSD
    Nvidia GTX card that can use Mercury playback engine in Premier pro
    Esata, Gigabit, USB 3.0 ports

Oh and an Esata external 1TB 80.

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    I normally get strange looks when I say I am using a non Mac system.
    That's pure snobbery. I chose win-7 editing laptop for a whole host of reasons over a macbook pro, Bearing in mind I had a budget that could have gone to 2.5k just for the hardware.
    I have not had one single blue screen of death or system crash, A very stable and high performance mobile workstation. A properly configured win-7 pro system is a near flawless experience

Blog Entries

My estimate was based on a mac as per the OP request.

7. Default

I currently use a windows and a Mac....I have a Mac book Pro Retina SSD and a Desktop PC. I am very happy with my MBP and my main recommendation if you go this route is don't skimp out and get the smaller drive. You can not upgrade the Mac Book Pros and trust me you will be constantly paying attention to your storage space. As soon as I am done with a video I transfer all the files to an external. I am very pleased with it but if I need some more power I use my PC. I do not transfer files back and forth between the two (as you can't) I pretty much edit the whole video on either or.

From my experience the Mac performs better than a PC but on a PC you can't get a Quaddro card which is not available on MBP only on a Mac Pro which with a Quaddro card will run you like $5g's with a minimal setup. The Mac Book Pro is great for quick edits as well if using Final Cut Pro X as it is not anything more than iMovie Pro. So using FCPX you can bust out videos pretty fast as you don't have the ability to really make things too fancy. Yes there are plugin (if you want to call them that) which are really just templates with a few settings.

I support both PC and Mac but if I was to buy another laptop it would be another Mac Book Pro.

Blog Entries

I film and edit for fun. My time and costs are therefore at a premium, which is oddly similar to a small business. Based on several years of experience, it pays to stick to what you know, I.e expand on a base platform, rather than radically change. There are always exceptions, but this is a sensible rule.

A MacBook is a Laptop. It does all the same things as a laptop with windows. A MacBook is more expensive than a laptop with windows. These are all true. To chose a MacBook over the windows equivalent is down to one or more of the following: brand loyalty; design; initial investment. A MacBook will not change how you work. If you've invested in software, it seems odd to change platforms.

If you want a change, and money isn't a factor, go for it. But bottom line, a MacBook is an expensive laptop with no upgrade routes.

For the record, I have an iPhone, iPad and a mac. I love Gadgets and tech, but i rarely justify the expense. Which brings me to my first point. Invest sensibly, particularly as a small business. It may well be that buying a MacBook will give you a short term boost of passion. It won't make you better.

So, get a MacBook if:

You never plan to go back to windows
    You plan to replace all your PCs
    You can afford to either get an SSD and a high spec external drive (or are willing to upgrade the DVD drive to a HDD yourself)
    You have time to invest in learning new software

Blog Entries

Like-for-like Macs will be faster and more reliable than the equivalent laptop running Windows. I wish it weren't so, but is is. Ignore anyone who says otherwise. This doesn't mean that Macs are "better" just that you get what you pay for.

I use both and have found that "once you go Mac, you never go back". There is something satisfying about using one of the white beasts. I resisted the urge for years and then I got an imac and quickly changed everything over to Mac. It hurt, mainly because I actually hated (and still do) the snobbery associated with Mac owners.

However, as Marc pointed out it does restrict your choice of software so you should only go the Mac route once you've decided to accept that.

It will not make you "better" though, any more than buying a Range Rover will make you a better driver.

Maybe once upon a time windows based systems were less reliable

In over 12 months I haven't experienced 1 crash or hang up with my i7, windows 7 based editing machine !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast