Thread: Keyframing, using that sync button.

Default Keyframing, using that sync button.

I don't really use Keyframing very often, but it has its uses. Recently I was using it for Text effects and making the Text slide from Left to Right whilst fading to zero.

Pretty basic stuff you may say, but it helped "lift" the movie (well, IMHO).

My problem is this: Sometimes I can use the Sync button [ near the start of the Keyframe Line] ....It's pretty small and I think I could see it changing the Icon, when clicked - I presumed this was an "on-off" feature, BUT as there seems to be no mention in Help (under "Contents") and Show me How is a bit basic, I've not found the Official Vegas answer. Searching under Keyframing shows the basic stuff, including labeling the Sync button - BUT not how it should be used . . . ie when you need it - and - when you don't.

This Problem is now compounded because on the aforementioned Movie, the Sync feature has stopped working. Moving the Keyframe marker doesn't move the Timeline, although it used to.

So, I wonder if you guys can explain how this is used? . .. and maybe suggest why it has stopped working. [ I am selecting the Text event (rt click, Edit Text Media)].... so I'm a bit stumped . . .

PS I tried a new Session and it's the same, just with one Text Event . . . . that Sync feature appears not to be active . . . like it's greyed out, so I can't even guess what it was changing to/from . . . .
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries

I call it the "sync to timeline cursor" button.
    From the help:
    "Select the Sync Cursor button to synchronize the cursor positions on the main timeline and Keyframe Controller timeline."

Basically if you have the button depressed and you move the cursor on the main timeline, the cursor in the keyframe controller moves to the same position.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    . . . that Sync feature appears not to be active . . . like it's greyed out, so I can't even guess what it was changing to/from . . . .
    Hmmm....

An "active" Sync Cursor for TEXT appeared in versions of VP after VP9.

To confirm I do have it working in VP10>VP11>VP12.

In VP10 it was a Sync Cursor Icon. In VP12 it is the "Animate" Button.

What Version of VP do you currently run?

. . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post

In VP10 it was a Sync Cursor Icon. In VP12 it is the "Animate" Button.
    . . .
    In my VP12 you hit the "Animate" button (in Legacy Text) and then the Sync Cursor appears, under the Keyframe Timeline.

(With "Text and Titles" the Sync button appears there after you hit the "clock" icon next to any of the parameters)
    Tim

Yup, in VP12, starting "afresh", I get "Animate" and then "Sync Icon".

. . ..

How inconsiderate not to say I'm using Movie Studio v10.... Sorry.
    It has a Sync button (only) and sometimes I can get it to sync. . but as I said more often than not it won't - so I'm left wondering if there is another "step" I should take - esp as it's not found (yet by me) in Help.
    I don't think v10 has an Animation button......Text was farily basic IMHO.
    The way Sony updates, I suspect MSv10 is likely to be closer to VP v8

Try zooming in on the keyframes, especially if they're very close together.

Thanks for that, but the keyframes are quite clearly present, it's just that I can't make the Sync work. The Text/Event works as it was set (and then I often want to change it!)
    +I've had the same experience again (today):- Existing Project, with a new change to existing Text; I select it, ( it shows it's selected), I click on the green Text icon in the Clip and then I try to press the Sync Cursor button. - that Sync button is in grey (I think,- it's rather small), and I can't get it to sync.

However, I'm trying to watch what I do, so maybe I'll start a new Project and use the Text to say what I'm doing . . . . It is very confusing - and when a feature isn't "how you expect" it loses its appeal.

My technique FWIW, is to make a new piece of Text far beyond the end of the project, sort out the keyframing (well, maye just make it "better"?) and then cut the Original to replace it with the new version. This is NOT satisfactory as it's so easy to create a ruinous Edit, as tracks jump about and files get scattered. Yep I know I should be "more careful" but, in the heat of battle.....

As this is a somewhat wasteful method, I though I'd check here before exposing my ignorance too far . . . . Ooops!
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-03-2013 at 12:45 AM.

I use keyframing a lot, and it does get quirky if there's too much disparity between the levels of zoom on the editing timelineand in the keyframing timeline. You have to play with it when it acts up, and you'll get it going again.