Thread: h264 to premiere workflow

Default h264 to premiere workflow

I take some hd (h264) clips with my still camera, but they don't play back real smooth and Premiere won't import them for editing. I'm looking to encode about a hundred clips at a pretty high quality for editing and import them into premiere for a stitch. What is a good conversion software and settings? I'd like to get the file size to about 75% and editable in Premiere in a fairly quick conversion.

If you don't have Adobe Media Encoder, another good, user friendly and free software is "MPEG Streamclip". It's available for Mac and PC (Link below).

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

The conversion time is pretty quick and you can select the formats you want from the drop down bar at the top. Whether your shooting in 720 or 1080, a good format to work with is Apple Pro Res. This format works for both Mac and PC. I usually convert to high quality pro res, but proxys are good for saving space and the difference is minimal.

I take some hd (h264) clips with my still camera, but they don't play back real smooth and Premiere won't import them for editing
    It seems odd that the clips won't play back correctly outside of Premiere too. Premiere should work with H.264 footage generally speaking. However, I know this can happen when files have been moved from their source folders on some of the Canon Cameras.

I hope this helps

Bravo, what excellent message

Thanks for the tips! I tried to import the h264 clips into Premiere again and it worked. For some reason when I was doing it before only the audio track would come up. I'll try out that Apple Pro Res if I need to. Too many codec formats out there and I never know what I'll get. One time I converted a 30s clip and it ended up at around 1gig!

You want to get MPEGStreamclip and convert to DNxHD container.
    (Open MPEGstreamclip->batch list).
    Then put them into premiere and when you render choose h.264 .mp4 again.

EDIT:// it's gonna increase the file size but it's totaly worth it. you get so much smother replays especially when your projects get bigger (like short movies/ long music videos).