Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 - Resizing and cropping video

Default Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 - Resizing and cropping video

Hey all,

My first time posting here and I'm fairly new to the movie editing software. But right now I'm playing around in a project just for fun and I want to make a piece of video fit into a polaroid picture style area. I have an actual blank polaroid picture sitting in my project area and I'm having trouble manipulating the video to fit.

Right now here's my setup:

Video layer: Grunge background that needs to be there for the whole video (if there's a way to actually set a background I haven't found it).

Video Overlay layer: Blank Polaroid

Text layer: Video I want playing in the polaroid area.

screen.jpg

The only way I know how to manipulate the video is through the event pan/crop tool and I'm having trouble lining it up.

Let me know if any of you have suggestions or if there's just no way to do that in Vegas.

Thanks!

From what I can see in your picture, you should be able to fit the video into your blank Polaroid with the pan crop tool. Just size it, which you seem to have achieved ok, position it by dragging the F box Or for fine adjustment you can use the X Centre & Y Centre up and down arrows. Then change the angle again use the up & down arrows for fine adjustment.

If you are really struggling you might want to try track motion, it's the same sort of thing but works on a track level not just the one event. I can't tell from your image if you require any "Skew" ie 3d perspective, if so use the Deform FX.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    From what I can see in your picture, you should be able to fit the video into your blank Polaroid with the pan crop tool. Just size it, which you seem to have achieved ok, position it by dragging the F box Or for fine adjustment you can use the X Centre & Y Centre up and down arrows. Then change the angle again use the up & down arrows for fine adjustment.

If you are really struggling you might want to try track motion, it's the same sort of thing but works on a track level not just the one event. I can't tell from your image if you require any "Skew" ie 3d perspective, if so use the Deform FX.

Hope this helps.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm going to try to fine tune it a bit, can you explain the "Deform FX" tool?

If you open the FX tab and scroll down the list until you see the word Deform and select it, you will see some templates which you can manipulate to help make the shape you want.

Zep,
    Use the Deform effect to stretch, compress, bend, or shear a video event.
    For more, search 'deform' in online Help (Applying video effects > Learn more about a specific plug-in).

Hey guys, I ended up just straightening everything out rather than using angles just to save on time, as this is more of a test video so far. I plan on going back and tweaking a lot later.

So is there a limit to video layers you can add? I noticed the option greyed out once I added a few.

On the website Sony say you can have up to 20 video and 20 audio tracks in Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum.

Right, I've tested that 20 + 20.

Alright, in this video

Test Vid - YouTube

I have 10 video tracks and 1 music track, so 11 total. When I right click on the left side to insert a new video track, the option for new tracks is greyed out.

Also, I posted this video in the user video section. The idea was mentioned that I don't need so many tracks to make this video work. What i want to know is how to keep this video as is, but consolidating the tracks. Right now I have each small video on it's own track, and I can't get around doing that because when I use the track motion tool to move the video around, it moves every video on that track.

Thanks for all the input, it's very helpful!

Zep,
    sorry, I overlooked that you have MSP 11 Platinum, it has 10 video tracks and 10 audio tracks (I just checked this in my version 11, MSP 12 has 20+20). You can forget about the preset labels, video tracks are the same, be it video, overlay or text, no difference. Same goes for audio tracks (music, voice, sound, whisper, whatever you want to call it).

Pls read again MB's 1st post. Use p&c, if you need to consolidate.
    "track motion, it's the same sort of thing but works on a track level not just the one event."

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50473571/VMSP11tracks.JPG
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-23-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast