Thread: Camera Stabilisation

1. Default Camera Stabilisation

Hi All
    I am the proud owner of the sony fs 700 and use it mainly to film weddings. I'm going to film a promo for a martial arts gym and also make a short doc following a MMA fighter as he prepares for a big fight. I've decided to buy a camera stabiliser which I could also use for weddings. The camera with lens is just over 3KG or 6LBs. I'm looking for something simple that ideally would intergrate with my manfrotto 501 tripod. I'm not looking for a vest or arm with it as I dont envisage using it for long periods at a time. I have read a lot about steadicam ( which may be a little out of my price range), glidecam, Varizoom, Hague (uk) etc
    Do you have any ideas/opinions that might point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Paul

Have you thought of getting some sort of shoulder rig ? In some ways they are more practical for an event like weddings, you can snap it onto your tripod when needed and a quick flick of the wrist and you are mobile with it on your shoulder.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Have you thought of getting some sort of shoulder rig ? In some ways they are more practical for an event like weddings, you can snap it onto your tripod when needed and a quick flick of the wrist and you are mobile with it on your shoulder.
    Hi
    I have thought about it, but I'm looking for the fluid feel you get with a stabiliser. I think I can get a lot of use out of it.

Paul

Another vote for a shoulder rig.

The Merlin is fantastic but I wouldn't recommend it for your purposes and guessing at your budget. By the way, nice camera!

1. You will need a vest because your arm will start to burn so it is significantly more expensive than a shoulder rig
    2. You will occassionally need a few minutes to reset it so it's not always appropriate in point and shoot situations when you might need it immediately (it's better for 'setup' situations).
    3. When the wind picks up, you will find the Merlin is unusable (my experience) unless I am missing something.

At 3kgs, it should work but you'll need to check this.

The Merlin is a great tool, will integrate with your 501 etc... but unless you're going high end which means units you can use when it gets windy, I'd strongly suggest a shoulder rig.

5. Smile

Thanks, I do love the results I get from the fs700.
    I think the merlin is for cameras up to 5lbs. The fs700 is a little more.

I suppose now I have two questions

Would you guys recommend any other stabilisation rigs?

What shoulder mounts would you recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mc View Post
    Thanks, I do love the results I get from the fs700.
    I think the merlin is for cameras up to 5lbs. The fs700 is a little more.

I suppose now I have two questions

Would you guys recommend any other stabilisation rigs?

What shoulder mounts would you recommend?

Thanks
    The Merlin will take more than 5lbs but you will need to find someone to test it with your camera. If you add a vest, the new Merlin will take 3.4kgs which should be fine for you if you want to buy a vest as well but this is seriously pricey. Otherwise, I believe the Pilot (Tiffen Steadicam) will take up to 10lbs. In terms of stabilisation rigs, Steadicam is theoretically the best of the bunch but I don't know and can't compare.

I can't recommend any others as I don't know them... However, if there is someone out there claiming their cheap (by cheap I mean Steadicam or lower prices) works in the wind, I'd be astonished and would need to double check this.

In terms of shoulder mounts, I have no idea as have only used borrowed Zacuto gear.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    The Merlin will take more than 5lbs but you will need to find someone to test it with your camera. If you add a vest, the new Merlin will take 3.4kgs which should be fine for you if you want to buy a vest as well but this is seriously pricey. Otherwise, I believe the Pilot (Tiffen Steadicam) will take up to 10lbs. In terms of stabilisation rigs, Steadicam is theoretically the best of the bunch but I don't know and can't compare.

I can't recommend any others as I don't know them... However, if there is someone out there claiming their cheap (by cheap I mean Steadicam or lower prices) works in the wind, I'd be astonished and would need to double check this.

In terms of shoulder mounts, I have no idea as have only used borrowed Zacuto gear.
    Thanks for the info.

You could try a Pro hire-shop - that might give you a practical "Users-view" of the Pros/Cons.

Just to clarify, I mean 'Merlin' Steadicam as the minimum level (apologies)

10. Default

Thanks Guys!