Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this work?

Blog Entries

Default Does this work?

For far too long I've been working on a project about the replacement of a bell frame in a local church. The finished film will probably last around 30 minutes and the target audience is mainly people who were involved in the project, other people (presumably members of the church) who might be interested in seeing how it was done and local historical societies.

The piece I'd like comments on comes about 9 minutes into the film. It follows the background to the project, the planned work, the funding and a section following the removal of one of the bells. All the footage is underpinned by narration and interviews so the first section is dialogue heavy with quite a lot of information. I was concerned that it was too much, but my initial test audience assure me it wasn't. However, my intention with this montage is to give the audience a break from the relentless flow of information and also to try to get across something of the amount of work involved.

I'm rather brain dead looking at the material so I'd like to know if this is too long or too repetitive and whether I'd lose the audience's attention, or whether it might serve its purpose of a break before the next narration-heavy sequence.

All comments gratefully received.

Tim

Works for me Tim. Without seeing it in context with the rest of it I can't say if it's fitting BUT I like it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Without seeing it in context with the rest of it I can't say if it's fitting
    How true, I meant to mention that in the preamble. But thanks - that gives me much encouragement.
    Tim

Yep, without seeing some of the completed film it's not esy - EXCEPT I'm not keen on medium-weight Metal (music) and would have liked some information on what I'm looking at, although I get the general engineering task. Initially the picture varies from high contrast to rather flat (generally the wider-views), -and I wonder if a female voice-over might help, telling us about the people doing the work "This is Robert, he's lowering the 8-bell (pardon my ignoranvce on bells), using the weston differential pulley...."

Perhaps then you can continue with the techy VO and the audience will engage "Tech-viewing".

When the clip stopped YT puts up a whole panel of unrelated (except "bell") items and one was "Jingle Bells" from Ohio church - I thought that was preferable to the metal-music you chose - but perhaps you are linking the Bells' foundry-metal with that music(were you?) . . . but then I thought jingle bells was more appropraiate for a "break" while still retaining something that might be sung in Sunday School, perhaps.

I have a further interval "tune idea" so first let me know if I'm already "Way-Off" . . .

It held my interest throughout.

Your work normally has vibrant colors but these seemed flat.

The two changes I would make are as follows:
    - as vidmanners pointed out, the music blows chunks; I wish I could express in words how terrible it was, but the English language is insufficient for this purpose; I'm sure it would have been great in 1993 (maybe), but personally I'd go with a trance loop since we are now in 2013; Jimmy Page is 87 -- it's time to "give it up"
    - I would use a few fast-pan-slow-zoom effects; this is the ONE place in film where they are applicable (as long as you go with the trance loop I mentioned above)

Zam

theres a shot with jump cuts of the bell being lowered twice very close together, maybe just go with one and that might help it feel less repetitive to you, I couldn't see anything else that made me think 'repetative'
    I disagree with vidmanners on the VO (sorry!) As a video on its own it probably would benefit from a little VO, however if this is to run in-between a lot of talk, as you've mentioned, then I'd leave it with just music to give the viewer a chance to digest a little.
    music wise - I think its difficult to comment on that without seeing the rest of the vid, if it matches the personality of your main subjects (ie there looks and general personas) then it could fit nicely, hard to say though...

Blog Entries

Thanks all for your comments.
    I'm happy to discuss the music further and open to (specific) suggestions. As usual I spent (literally) hours trying to come up with appropriate music. The rest of the film (so far) has been fairly quaint, any music used will have been (apart from bellringing) Wedding Music, Gregorian Chant, and Church Organ music (and possibly some choral stuff), but this will have been very incidental and brief where it appears.

Time for a bit of contrast. I wanted to give the impression of work, something "industrial", a bit "dirty" and cramped, with a workmanlike pulse. I've tried searching for something more modern, maybe even "trance" like Zam has suggested, but my knowledge of this sort of stuff is zilch so i've drawn a blank. I'd also tried to find something "churchy" but it doesn't tend to have the relentless beat I'm looking for (possibly a "rock" Toccata in D minor by JS Bach, if I could find one - which i'm sure Zam would hate even more, but at least accept it's "appropriate")

Whatever I use it must be available I must be able to use it commercially (I told the project they would be free to sell.distribute the end product in return for allowig me access). I have SmartSound so i'm happy to entertain any ideas from their library.

Having said all that, I'm not unhappy with my choice of music. Definitely don't want anything "Jingle Bells"

I agree with Zam about the fast-pan-slow-zoom but I don't have the shots and this was all shot in SD for distribution in SD so there's little scope for doing it in post.

Zam is also on the button about the colours seeming very flat. This was shot in very little light and a fair amount of dust had accumulated of the 150 years when the current frame was installed. I had thought it appropriate to keep it as dull as it looks (this will contrast nicely with the new frame installation - pained frame, painted bells, whitewashed walls). But maybe it's a bit lifeless as is. I'll experiment.

Definitely no VO for the reasons I stated and FM reiterates - this is a break from VO and information overkill.

FM - thanks for pointing out the obvious about the repeating shots of descending bells. I can't space them further apart because people'e wil think I've repeated the sequence and close together as they are, it simply feels repetitive. You're rightI must lose one - thanks.

Again, thanks to all for taking the trouble to view and comment.
    Tim

Only my opinion. I am seldom excited by rock Bach (too much syncopation; thus better suited for ragtime or jazz). I find rock Vivaldi (or Mozart) more suitable. The popularity of guitarist 'Patrick Rondat' means there are alot of amateur clips of folk wild electric guitar in that style.
    (For example, youtube. com / watch?v=LP9AABgIJSA) . I suspect some may be delighted to have their tracks included.

I used a funtwo track for a "wedding video" I did a few years back. The music in the church was Canon so I blended it to the rock version for the photos after the service, which worked quite well. It wasn't a proper wedding video, it was just a personal record of my daughter being a flower girl at a family wedding.

Funtwo is a very talented musician and has a lot of great tracks to choose from. Here is a LINK TO HIS CHANNEL

It helped me to watch this twice, because the first time around, the whole thing looked confusing, just a load of chains and bits of wood. It made sense second time, and to your audience it will be in context, and follow plenty of beforehand footage.

I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of colour, like you say, it's real.

The music seemed fine to me, are you saying you can use this piece, or do you have to find something copyright free?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast