Thread: YouTube - What are the Rules?

Default YouTube - What are the Rules?

Hi

I'm totally new to this forum and totally new to editing so helloooooo

Does anyone know the where the rules stand with respect of downloading a movie from YouTube, editing it to the soundtrack which has been produced by a friend of mine and then uploading the edited version back to YouTube?

Thanks
    Paul

Hi Tyree,

When you upload to youtube you have the option of using Creative Commons copyright. Therefore if the video you want to download is creative commons, they have already given you permission to use it as long as you inform them, and give them credit within your version.

Otherwise, you need to ask them first, I'd try the comments section of the video, most people get notified when they receive comments. Or private message through your youtube account.

Either way, I always ask first and explain my intentions, better to know where you stand before you take the trouble to start a project.

Hey Stripe

Sounds like a plan, although its a video which has been edited again by some people - so I guess they would have had to gain permission to do it.

Tyree

Lol, well yeah that's complex. Chances are the whole thing is creative commons and nobody has a problem with it.

Can tell you one thing, youtube are quick to block your video if it breaches the rules, but there's no real problem. A friend of mine used some commercial mp3's for his soundtrack and youtube picked it up straight away, the mp3's must have still been encoded. But they simple blocked the video.

So don't sweat on it, just ask those guys what the story is.

Fab - thanks Stripe, I reckon I might just stick it up there anyway and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyree75 View Post
    I reckon I might just stick it up there anyway and see what happens.
    If so, then what was the point about asking about the rules?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    If so, then what was the point about asking about the rules?
    Probably to see whether anyone had a definitive answer - which we have failed to provide.
    Tim

I assumed the guy was new to the game, and was genuinely concerned, so that's a good thing.

However the reality is that, as in any copyright, you have to be warned, and ignore that warning, before any legal action can commence, and on youtube their form of a warning is to block your video - makes life easy for everyone.