Thread: Editing PC Dilema!

1. Default Editing PC Dilema!

Hello,

Okay, so after my previous posting in here, this thread here - I've definitely come to the stark realisation that I'm in need of new PC. I did receive sound advice and have not purchased the graphics card, but I've tried a few other things that have possibly put my current situation into sharp perspective. Firstly, the additional 2GB of ram I have that I was planning to put in the old PC refused to work, either they're not compatible with the motherboard or they are damaged (not an issue as they were a freebie that I acquired from older machine.) And second, I've now got access to a camera that does HD, both 720 and full HD 1920x1080. I thought I'd see what my current system could do with some short test footage of both types. I'm currently using Sony Vegas Platinum Pro, it managed to open multiple 720 files, didn't have an issue with previewing, but the second I added even basic effects, massive slow down on the preview, even in the most basic preview setting. And full HD was a non starter, I couldn't even get a basic media player to play the footage without having a head fit, let alone considering trying to edit it.

So, I know what sort of footage I'll be filming, I know the software I'll be using, and I know I'll be using pretty much the standard effects, I'm currently scrutinising custom PC websites looking at options and prices. I want something big and powerful enough to do what I need, but I'm really floundering in a sea of choices. Money, or lack of it, are certainly making some of the choices for me, but I'd love some guidance on some of the other choices and priorities.

I'll go into specs in a minute, but I wanted to ask first of all; the difference in overall performance and power required to edit Full HD as opposed to 720 HD, it strikes me that it might well be significant. I'm torn here, previously I've only been able to work in standard definition, so 720, for the moment, seems awesome for me. If its as I think it is, then I could probably spend a lot less if I were of the impression that 720 would be 'enough' for me for, say, the next 4 years. But I know time and tech move fast - I'm making basic music videos at the moment, but I'd like to progress to short films, and whatever else I can do afterwards - I'm so torn between a system that will be more than sufficient for 720, but might allow me some additional money to spend on the other important things in filmmaking, such as lighting, etc, or a killer system that does more than I need, with some serious future proofing thrown in. Seriously, I thought I had an idea of what I needed, but now I'm not sure.

For a rough guide, I reckon the maximum budget is going to be £650 tops.

With that in mind, here are some options on components I've found and the choices I face;

Processor

This is a big one, I was initially set on an AMD core, purely on the cost factor - I felt you could get more bang for your buck with an AMD system allowing me to spend more on RAM and graphics card options. I've since read on a few audio/visual forums that Sony Vegas delivers noticeably better performance on Intel processors. I've no idea if this is really the case, wouldn't mind hearing opinions on this? So, AMD vs Intel - for the cost of a basic I7 quad core I can buy an AMD FX 8350 8 core processor. Then again, could I get away with a fast I5 if I decide 720 is the way to go. Would a basic AMD quad be suitable for 720?

RAM

Okay, amount vs speed. Is 4GB of the fastest Ram I can find better than 16 or even 32GB of considerably slower RAM? I'm really in the dark here, and there is possibly the middle option, say, 8GB of RAM at a speed somewhere between the two! Help!

Graphics Card

Simple choice here I believe, a card with as much of the fastest/high bandwidth VRAM as possible. I think this one looks like a winner - NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650, 2048MB GDDR5. Its a powerful but one of the more affordable options.

Hard Drive, would probably go with 1TB at as fast a speed as possible, but I've got a few spare, fast drives knocking around, so not too worried here.

Well, thats about it, sorry for the lengthy post. I know this might turn out to be the impossible question, I know you quite often get what you pay for, but its pretty vital that I get as much of my PC spec right at the first go. There are so many permutations!

I hope you guys can give some more sound advice!

Jim

I'd really go for a SSD for your operating system/program drive. Then have separate drives for your media. I don't know enough about computers to advise on the other things but I do know the SSD I have is very very good at speeding things up.

An i7 is not a basic quad core, it can have hyper threading and some other buzzword that I have since forgotten, but effectively it can be a 8, 16 etc core if you buy the right one.

To save all this boring homework, my advice is go to a PC gaming shop, they build machines specifically for fast graphics and dedicated system speed, which is exactly what you want for an editing machine. They are also well proven, those shops are full of tech heads.

They will offer you packages, or design one for you in your budget.

DO NOT ever buy a machine from a department store, you will get office spec processing, unless you understand your processors FULLY, you will buy junk.

Find the most popular gaming shop in town and have a chat.
    Last edited by Stripe; 01-18-2013 at 07:53 AM.

4. Default

Okay, thanks for the initial comments. Have done some more research, this system seems to pretty good, I've opted to quote with the best AMD CPU I could locate on the website, I'm assuming this machine would be fine with 720 HD and I'm hoping it would also do pretty well with full hd?

Alas, SSHD's are out of my range right now, am still waiting for them become a bit more affordable and with higher capacities.

Here is my quote;

Product Category Product Description
    Case STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
    Processor (CPU) AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU (4.00GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
    Motherboard ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3 (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 3Gb/s)
    Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB
    KIT)
    Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
    2nd Hard Disk 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
    Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
    Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
    Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe AMD CPU Cooler (£19)
    Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
    USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
    Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
    Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
    Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
    Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
    Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
    (£5)
    Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
    Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
    Price Ex VAT £555.83
    Price £667.00
    Quantity 1
    Total Order Price EX VAT £555.83
    Total VAT Amount £111.17
    Total Order Price £667.00

Does this system kick ass?

A simple google...

Is this a powerfull computer : AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU (4.00GHz/8mb CACHE/AM3+?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Yep, that's actually really good.
    I didn't even know that AMD was making eight-core processors, apparently this is their first.

That's pretty awesome quality wise, apparently it's not entirely reliable according to reviews.

Other Answers (3)

• A powerful processor, yes indeed; really good.

A computer, no.

• I'd suggest Intel instead of AMD. An Intel i5-3570K is probably as good as that.
      Source(s):

Me

• avoid it there power hogs

look for the fx 6300 same performance in gaming

and 50w less power greedy

I didn't see a version number for yr software, so maybe troll over to Sony creative and see about Graphoics cards - these need to be CUDA and only some models are suitable - DYOR.
    If you then update the software, you will find the extra power will really fly.
    + I agreee about cost/Gb of SSD's - but they are getting cheaper and improving read/write life-cycles too.
    You will need an OS naturally, so budget for Win7 maybe until Win8 is fully tested. That on-board audio is probably OK, but check it will handle MIDI - many wont and you have to buy a dedicated MIDI-card, should a friend be musically inclined..... although newer keyboards are now USB.
    A separate Graphics card is definately good, IMHO.
    Maybe be wary of being first with a new processor - see what ASUS have tested their MBO+Graphics with - just maybe Intel is the "safer-bet" - and to speed up Render-times, cut down the fancy transitions.

Be mindful that the next generation of v-cams may be 4K
    I like eSATA for external HDD storage . . . but maybe USB3 is OK, too.

I'm surprised it's so cheap!!!