Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding copyright of wedding film footage...

Question Question regarding copyright of wedding film footage...

Hi all,
    I wanted to ask a question regarding the copyright of the actual wedding footage and who owns it. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a videographer for my wedding in September.

I've spoken to several so far and one of the questions I've asked is; Can you provide me with a copy of the raw unedited footage? The reason I want the footage is that because our 13/14 hour day will be condensed into roughly 90 minutes, not everything we want will make the final cut and there may be plenty of "moments" that while not right for the finished movie, would make for great viewing.

Some of the comapnies have said yes, as long as I give them a USB harddrive, some have said they're not sure how to do that and some have just plain said no.

The most recent person I spoke to (whose work I really like) said that becuase the video company retain the copyright to the actual footage, they would not be willing to do that.

Is this an unreasonable request? Do many of you receive similar requests? I don't understand why the videographer retains the copyright to the video rather than the clients who are the subjects and the ones paying upwards of 2k.

Thanks for helping.

Steve

Blog Entries

You'll find a lot won't entertain the idea for the simple fact that a hell of a lot of "b roll" gets filmed. Due to the very nature of live events, a small proportion of footage is used, particularly where multiple cams are used. If all of this were released, it would take the maguc away.

If you give your company a good brief, they won't miss out the kind of thing you want in.

That reads like a good answer where a pro-company is concerned. There is no reason they can't supply (for a price) a second DVD of out-takes, which would be from the bin.

However, I wonder that you will find these additional moments interesting . . . perhaps one time round, but the wedding day should retain its "magic" and a pro video should do that - someting you can show friends (yawn) and children in years to come. Pros are very good at getting all the "good stuff" and a vid that's longer than one DVD is likely to send many folks to sleep and may dilute the "magic" for those involved . . . . I really wonder if it's worth it..... as it could be a complete mess-up and you'll need to Edit it to give it some "form" - OR is that secretly what you want to do, perhaps?

The alternative is to donate some funds to a local Film-making Club - get them to cover the wedding - amongst the footage will be the Good/Bad/Ugly and after the honeymoon you can settle down with an Editor to sort it out - That should be far cheaper, but unless you're good at Editing, it won't be as slick - and Club Members may not (All) be familiar with wedding shoots - any Pro-members will be off earning their crust; so won't turn up.

Good luck on the day!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hambo View Post
    The most recent person I spoke to (whose work I really like) said that becuase the video company retain the copyright to the actual footage, they would not be willing to do that.
    The reason you really like this work is that the videographer will have worked through the footage to make the very best of the material shot.
    On a typical wedding day the total amount of A cam footage that I shoot would be about 2-3 hours, even though I might be there for 12 hours. In addition there will be B, C and even D cams with continual recording at certain points, these are usually set up for a specific moment or for a shot to cut to to add interest or as 'insurance' against a blocked shot on the main cam, or a refocusing moment. Most of that is of very little use in a produced DVD. Most videographers with experience will be working to produce a finished product, not surveillance cover grabbing every moment.
    The skill of a good editor is to work through that material and use all of the useful footage and discard the dross (and believe me there can be lots of dross shot at weddings - no reflection of the wedding itself). Good and popular videographers will have a professional pride in their work and may be reluctant to dilute or tarnish their reputation by delivering material that was not intended for general viewing. Professional videographers work hard and long to build reputation. Once uncut footage has been released there is no control over who sees it and what the 'back story' is, i.e. this is the unedited footage. If friends see the uncut footage without explanation they may assume that it is the standard of work the videographer presents.
    If you want all of the uncut footage why not consider one of the hirecam and shoot companies and get your friends to film it.
    Last edited by ThomTom; 01-15-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

An alternative to the "shoot it yourself" is to act as director and hire a cameraman or two. Give them the list of shots you want and they return everything they've shot at the end of the day. Next you find an editor willing to work with that material. This is likely to be a more expensive option that a package and I've no idea how feasible this is. The results are unlikely to be as good as buying the whole package from one source, but they are likely to be superior to a "shoot it yourself" as you will at least have experience cameramen.
    Tim

Blog Entries

That approach worked well for me Tim (for my wedding). but that's because I trusted the guys that filmed, I have a fair few years experience of editing and I understood that they coildn't capture everything. With hindsight, I would have asked Andy to quote for editing too.

The video company does own the copyright and as has already been said, they take the best shots of the day to tell the story.
    No-one who commisioned a painting would insist on having the rights to have the brushes and left over paint for the same reason.

The reason many won't release the raw tapes to the OP is they lose control of what's in the edit and if someone was to edit the raw stuff into a very clumsy edited version, friends may think the video company was responsible - leading to a poor reputation for them.
    We have released tapes in the past, at a cost, usually on condition that no further edits can take place on the main production.
    Some shots that may seem hilarious during, or just after the wedding, will be regretted years later if left in the edit. That's the editors job, to foresee what the keeper shots are and build the shots round the story.
    As Marc realises, the edit is the killer part of the project and each shot is usually agonised over before inclusion.
    Last edited by Zero; 01-15-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

But who would direct the camera men ? Would they be responsible for sound ? The editing will be done by who ? them selves ?

This isn't really a practical option for the average bride & groom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    But who would direct the camera men ? Would they be responsible for sound ? The editing will be done by who ? them selves ?
    I was only putting it forward as an alternative to the "shoot it yourself" option, where the same problems would exist, but with the additional problem of non-professional cameramen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This isn't really a practical option for the average bride & groom
    It is if you're Marc
    Tim

Obviously Marc is not your average groom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast