Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyberlink Powerdirector and GoPro Hero2 & Hero3 - Loosing Quality After Producing??

Default Cyberlink Powerdirector and GoPro Hero2 & Hero3 - Loosing Quality After Producing??

Am new to video editing but am no fool Am having some difficulty preserving the original video files quality after editing and exporting in Powerdirector 10. Here's what i'm doing:

Take raw video clip from GoPro Hero2 (1280x720 @ 59.94fps) and copy to desktop
    Convert clip to .AVI using GoPro's Cineform, keeping source frame rate and resoltion and quality set to high (40sec clip is around 240MB and looks great when played in Windows Media Player or VLC)
    Import clip to Powerdirector 10 (Clip still looks pretty good in preview window, not amazing but OK)

Now, no matter what export settings i use (even custom), my final video ends up at around 50MB MAX and has lost significant quality compared to the original. I've created a test clip which i have used to test all the different export settings but cannot manage to preserve the original quality.

So my question is, what export settings will produce the highest quality? I'd like to start by producing the highest quality i can with the original file and then reduce the quality as i see fit for such things as YouTube etc.

Is my workflow wrong? Are my export settings wrong?

On a side note, i've just got a Hero3 and am currently downloading the Powerdirector 11 Ultimate Trial, is there any reason 11 might produce better quality than 10?

Any help appreciated as it would be great to be able to edit my clips and maintain the awesome GoPro quality!

Why are you converting the GoPro's files (I think they are mp4) into an AVI file? Can't the original files be loaded into Powerdirector?

Blog Entries

I've just taken a look at the user manual for Power Director 10. Perhaps because of the target market for the product, there's very little detaial in terms of the settings available. However, if you intend to upload to Vimeo or YouTube, it looks like it takes a bit of the pain away, and shoukd give you good quality. If you don'rt have a Vimeo account, I recommend you open one up. Then follow the steps on page 151 of the user guide: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdlo...tor_UG_ENU.pdf. Vimeo lets yoiu download your original file, so if Power Director doesn't save the video, you can download from there. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Why are you converting the GoPro's files (I think they are mp4) into an AVI file? Can't the original files be loaded into Powerdirector?
    I'm converting to AVI because i'm told that will produce better quality videos? Something to do with higher bit rate? I have tried just dropping the mp4 in but still get the same results (ie the output file is of lesser quality of the input file).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I've just taken a look at the user manual for Power Director 10. Perhaps because of the target market for the product, there's very little detaial in terms of the settings available. However, if you intend to upload to Vimeo or YouTube, it looks like it takes a bit of the pain away, and shoukd give you good quality. If you don'rt have a Vimeo account, I recommend you open one up. Then follow the steps on page 151 of the user guide: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdlo...tor_UG_ENU.pdf. Vimeo lets yoiu download your original file, so if Power Director doesn't save the video, you can download from there. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I can see where you're going with that but i'd rather be able to get my videos edited at a decent quality before any uploading to anywhere.

As you can see here, i've lost quality, on the left is the file exported by powerdirector and on the right is the raw clip from the camera. There is a definate lack in detail.

Blog Entries

Why not give it a go. You can always delete it.

And. Page 141 explains about selecting from (or customising) "profiles" and 'production prferences' when outputing a clip. Does that make a difference?

Thanks again, have had a read through the manual but it dosen't tell me anything i dont already know. This is why i'm baffled as to why i'm loosing quiality even when trying the higher quality output formats and settings.

9. Default

Hi RipGroove, Have you raised this concern on CyberLink's online customer service? We have a dedicated team of experts there to answer you technical questions. You may also find us on facebook. We suggest that you go over our online customer service so that we can properly track your case and then provide you with appropriate help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLink View Post
    Hi RipGroove, Have you raised this concern on CyberLink's online customer service? We have a dedicated team of experts there to answer you technical questions. You may also find us on facebook. We suggest that you go over our online customer service so that we can properly track your case and then provide you with appropriate help.
    perhaps you could ask one of your techies who could help here? We run a totally free service dedicated to helping each other. demonstrating that you are helping (rather than promoting your products) would perhaps be a good marketing policy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast