Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Logo

Default My New Logo

Here is the next evolutionary step of my MBP Logo.

Very nice. I dig the play button behind it.

Thanks, I thought it added a bit more up to date feel than my last effort. One of these days I may even get into the twenty first century but I doubt it.

When I first got in to motion graphics I loved to do stuff with the RGB colour theme, but later looking back I found them very harsh to look at. I find the same here.

The old classic CH4 ident shows that it can work:

Channel 4 Ident (1982) - YouTube

But it's not easy to pull off. They done it by adding a couple of secondary colours to the primaries and on a plain black background. I never learned of using the secondaries to break it up at the time, but I did tend to stick with the black background to stop the subject from fighting with it.

Check out these links, they are very useful:

https://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30

Color Scheme Designer 3

David.

Thanks for the links David. At least I found that the classic MBP blue and gold that I often use are complementary colours. I guess I thought I was being really clever using the RGB colours, being in the "video industry" and all.

It's good to know what other people think otherwise I'll just keep producing crap.
    Ideally my brand will become so well know that I can just use the blue & gold Play button as my logo and everybody in the world will know who it represents.

Ideally my brand will become so well know that I can just use the blue & gold Play button as my logo and everybody in the world will know who it represents.
    That sounds like a good plan.

David.

Blog Entries

At the risk of peeing in the swimming pool...

It's a tad brash for me, Midnight. There are too many colours and too much going on for my taste. I like the idea that "less is more". Maybe just a blue and gold?

I appreciate the idea of RGB but I don't know if it's worth it for the few "in the trade" who will get it.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't post things if I didn't want peoples honest opinions. I don't know if two people equals a trend but it does seem like it's going in a "get rid of the RGB colours" direction.

Blog Entries

I'd resisted commenting as I know sweet FA about graphics. However, I never shut up for long when I have the opportunity to preach on a subject about which i know nothing

The moon was distinctive.

The play button with the 3D treatment and the text with the 3D treatment seems rather old hat. I also found the play button rather indistinctive.

On the plus side, the bit that stands out is the important bit - MBP

The trend nowadays seems to be solid blocks of very few 2D colours - think of the iPod ads - just a white silhouette on a solid colour background or more recently the way 3D "tiles" are being repolaced by the Windows Phone/Windows 8 (not allowed to call it the) "Metro" Interface, 2D blocky look.

Of course, if you go with that trend, your logo will be immediately identified with this era and will become old hat as soon as this trend changes.

So it sort of depends whether you want to look current and keep changing the style of your logo every couple of years (which can be done whilst keeping a constant recognisable image) or whether you want a "classic" look which will never change.

But just to re-reiterate, in the words of Manuel from Barcelona, "I know nothing"
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Tim

But just to re-reiterate, in the words of Manuel from Barcelona, "I know nothing"
    The important thing is that you know your own mind.
    Thanks for the in put Tim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast