Thread: DPW Promo

Default DPW Promo

I did some coverage of the Department of Public Works on my street as a general target for my portfolio, just something with nice creative shots: DPW Promo - YouTube
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

I suggest you don't put it in your portfolio.

In all the time you've been here, have you not taken not of all the comments against zooming and hosing?

Sorry, Pink, but you're better than this.
    Tim

I have to agree with Tim. It does seem like you just point the camera and press the red button. Move around and hope that you might have captured something. Then you seem to just post what ever you got and not trim out the "unnecessary bits". As Tim said it's not like we haven't advised you about this before.

I guess it's just my shooting style that comes natural, I could only get so close. If I just let it run on a tripod seems kind of boring I tried capturing certain parts of the machines rather than just standing off in a corner with everything in frame not moving. Since I couldn't get up close I did things like motion time lapse to follow them, even if I cut even more out I have a feeling you guys would still say that...how can you tell what's already been cut out? Are you saying there's unnecessary shots or a "promo" should be in general still less time??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    Are you saying there's unnecessary shots or a "promo" should be in general still less time??
    There is plenty of footage that should have been left out. A promo should feature only your very best shots and editing.

Let's take a look in detail ...

Opening shot - Nice idea, it sets the scene and acts as a "before" shot, presumably. However the white building in the left foreground is a distraction and it doen't look level to me.

Then you zoom out. Is there any motivation for the zoom out? What does it add? We just start to see your window frame and then you dissolve away - so we don't arrive at our "destination". IFrustrating for the viewer. 'd have left out the zoom.

You then dissolve to a similar shot, now in daytime. This might have worked and looked very impressive if the two zooms out were in perfect sync. Much easier to have had two static shots on a locked off camera. If the shots don't match absolutely perfectly, fade through black (or something else) A dissolve between nearly matching shots is ugly. A dissolve between two moving shots is worse.

The pan from the end of the road to the tree sugeon in the tree was very optimistic. There is a certain amount of "hunting" of your target (the man in the tree). Worse than that, you have zoomed out and thenyou zoom back in again. only to ho out yet again. This is colloquially known as tromboning. If you really MUST zoom, only ever go one way in one shot. The reason for this is that every time you reverse a movement (ie pan back on yourself or a zoom back in after zooming out etc) it feels like you're back tracking - you're indecisive, your're not leading us on our journey.

You zoom in on a reasonable shot of the surgeon pruning a branch, but it's over quickly and you zoom out again to show the wider scene. As the surgeon selects and starts to prune another branch you tilt down so we miss the action in favbour of a shot of the front of his van.

Let's look at how we could make a tiny section more effective. 0:44 to 1:04.
    What we have is a shot of the guy loading the tree into the chipper, then a wobbly zoom out and shot along the chipper, then a zoom out to the wide shot of the chipper.
    What I would do is show the wide shot, then the close up of the chippings shooting out of teh chipper, then the shot of the guy loading them
    OR
    Show the guy loading, the close up of teh chippings and then the wide.

With different material, you'd show wide shot first, close up of the guy loading then close up of teh chippings - this makes more sense, but you can't do that with this material as you don't have a wide shot with the guy in it.

By far the best shots are those where the camera is locked off. For example the pneumatic drill and the close up of the roller (2:20) And you didn't suffer "bloom" in exposure when the roller moved out of shot,

I also liked that you kept ambient sound in there.

So it's notr all bad news!

Hope that helps.
    Tim

I'll go over the first minute with you.

You start off with and establishing shot which is dark and wobbly then start to zoom out and then cut. I wouldn't have used that shot at all as it doesn't add anything to the narrative. You then cut to a better establishing shot of the work men at the end of the road but then zoom out and clumsily swing the camera around to get a different shot. It would have been better if you started with work men at the end of the road shot, then cut to the work man on the cherry picker after you have finished zooming in.

You then zoom out and tilt down to show the branches he has cut on the flow. That's a good shot to have but should have been cut before the camera started to zoom out and go straight to the shot of the floor after all the camera movement.

You then cut to a nice shot of the wood chipping machine and start to slowly pan to the other end where the chips come out. Good, thats acceptable movement but then you go and blow it by zooming out again. You should have cut before the zoom straight to the wider shot.

Cutting out all the zooming and hosing gives us the same message but reduces the length of the video by a lot and presents a much better finished product.

If you are going to post video asking for comment, it's only polite that you show that you have listened to the advice given in you next video OR at least tell us at the time of the comment why you disagree with the comment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'll go over the first minute with you.
    But I beat you to it
    Tim

So it seems.

Thank you this is what I come here for!

The zoom out was to show the road condition and add to the pan as I do so.

I see what you mean, I did not think anyone would pick up on the fact that grinder was not synced

I think I'm used to zooming because my "full HD" has smaller sensors then usual so I have to get closer to things, I will keep this in mind!

I was trying to get the action of both a cut, then a drop. If I had two cameras I would have synced that

I see what you mean by chipper shots, I just won't call this a promo...might keep it as is just for a little something "for now"

The locked shots were fully auto so the camera did not bloom itself.

Thanks again, I won't call it something more than it is.

~Nate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    I think I'm used to zooming because my "full HD" has smaller sensors then usual so I have to get closer to things, I will keep this in mind!
    Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong in zooming in/out - just don't eave the movement in the edit.
    Tim