Thread: Downhill Biking Video

Default Downhill Biking Video

Hey Everyone

I'm in my final year at Staffordshire University, I recently completed a module last semester which gave us the task of creating a music video. I wanted to create something different, besides the typical 'band in a warehouse' scenario. I am very interested in action sports filmmaking and so I shot a downhill film, and added a bit of a quirky angle to it.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.

Enjoy

Joe

ps. If anyone can tell me how to embed my videos for future reference, that'd be great. Cheers!
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-11-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Click on the insert video button and paste the URL to the video, the forum software will then embed the video. You will see that I've done it for you this time.

I liked the video. I thought you had a good mix of shots and cut them well together. You created a good narrative especially mixing the two different bikers sympathetically to the music.

Well done.

I liked it too, I loved the idea of showing the basket bike/country road in black and white and the downhill in colour. It worked really well. And great use of the film burn, it worked great as the slow-mo kicked in.

What's the music?

David

Thank you for the embedding help, Midnight!

And thanks for the nice comments The music is Fitzpleasure, by Alt+J - great band, won a Mercury Prize in 2012. Check out their album 'An Awesome Wave'

Will do thanks. I've never heard it before.

David.

Blog Entries

Some nifty camerawork and editing in there. Personally I thought the film burns were overdone. Nice once or twioce for the transitions between B&W and colour shots but felt rather like "jumping on the bandwagon" in other places. I've heard of Alt+J so I can't be as much of an old fart as I thought (though this is the first f their music I've actually heard so maybe I am).
    Tim

Haha, thank you Tim. To be honest, I do agree with you on the film burn aspect. The 2nd or 3rd edit I did, my tutor advised me to throw some more burns in certain places because he thought it needed to be a theme all the way through, rather than just patches, how I initially had it. So, as he was the one grading me on it... I did what he asked.

On the other hand though, it could be argued that Alt+J are the type of band that convey that typical vintage, almost hipster sort of style. So the burns were in-keeping with the style of the band. But anyway...

Glad you liked it!

Joe

It' all a personal thing. Film burns are most often seen on the web used for the sake of trendiness, and trend is very important in commercial film making, but gimmicks/ruses/styles etc. still need to be used with reason/purpose.

Without having seen what you had before your tutor suggested more I kind of agree with him/her. I thought the burn at around 50 seconds works very well, but perhaps drags on a little too long on the second shot. First instincts I think breaking the shot up, but maybe fading the burn out half way through it to then cut clean to the black and white shot is what I'd try out.

I prefer the opposite of what Tim does in relation to the transitional burns, in the middle section they were a bit added for the sake of the theme for me, but I found them ok. If it was mine, and its not it's yours, I'd try the one at around 50s like mentioned above, add a shorter version of the same thing at the slow-mo at around 2:44 and keep the section at around 3:20 onwards. Then I'd consider looking for somewhere in-between 50s and 2:44 to subtly introduce something similar to that last bit at around 3:20, but without feeling it necessary to add if it wasn't right.

By the way, now I feel really old. Tim has heard of Alt-J and I haven't.

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iJoey View Post
    So, as he was the one grading me on it... I did what he asked.
    David and I may disagree on some matters of taste, but I'm sure we'd both agree that doing what the client asks is the most important requirement for a practical filmmaker
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    David and I may disagree on some matters of taste, but I'm sure we'd both agree that doing what the client asks is the most important requirement for a practical filmmaker
    When I started out doing freelance work I had a massive problem with this. I was lucky to be working with a director at the time who understood my frustration but had his feet firmly on the ground in relation to the business side of things, I learned a lot from him.

I strongly agree Tim.

What I learned most is that the client is always wrong, deal with it.

David.