Thread: This is Manila

1. Default This is Manila

Your a big person right ? You can take it on the chin. Most of what you do is very well done BUT just occasionally I get the idea that you are too aware of the camera when you shouldn't be. This usually manifest it's self on your B-Roll shots where you are looking around at the nice things but your eye flicks to the camera for a split second or the big smile doesn't look at all natural. Another example is the very end shot is very posed and looks un-natural. I know this is really tricky when doing a self shoot and I'm not meaning to be insulting personally to you.

I think it's because the rest of "the show" is very good and this is the only point that really lets it down.

3. Default

Honestly, these shoots are tough to do because my girlfriend is operating the camera and I am always worried about what she is doing or how she is screwing up the shot. It would be easy if I could just clone myself and have one of me operating the camera and the other in front of it.

Blog Entries

This could be a good film about the Phillipines but unfortunatley you've made a film about you.

There's nothing wrong with getting your thoughts on film, but lets see far more of what you're talking about and far less of this "good looking hunk".
    (Maybe if you were holding the camera and your girlfriend was presenting I'd have a different take )

As a general rule i like something which is fast paced, giving a flavour of this and that, but I found this changed pace suddenly and a little too often (moreso in the first half)

I also found your commenting about how the Filipinos hadn't heard of Tacos and Burritos rather odd. Why the surprise? I suspect they've heard of a lot more American food than you have of their food. And as a 50+ year old Brit I've never had a Burrito (though i fully intend to)

I think there's a fine line between giving a very personal view, showing yourself interacting with the environment (which is good) and self promotion (which is good only if that's what youre trying to do). This felt uncomfortably lie it was the latter.

Having said that - you do present to camera very well (aside from the odd glances Midnight mentioned - and with my comments above excepted, it was very well put together.
    Tim

5. Default

Thank you for taking the time to watch and taking the time to comment. I have to disagree with your opinions though. The video is about me because it is done for my channel and all the videos are about me. If I uploaded something that has nothing to do with my, my subscribers my get mad.

Also, most Filipinos don't know what a burrito is and they are very hard to find in the Philippines but we are letting people know they can go to Taco Bell to get them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to watch and taking the time to comment. I have to disagree with your opinions though. The video is about me because it is done for my channel and all the videos are about me.
    Ah-hah! We are not in disagreement. Did I not say "self promotion (which is good only if that's what youre trying to do)"? As that is what you are trying to do, you've succeeded!
    Tim

7. Default

There is something else you are not considering. Don't you think there is a reason they hired me to do this video and not a random videographer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
    There is something else you are not considering. Don't you think there is a reason they hired me to do this video and not a random videographer?
    Why would I consider something about which I have no knowledge? I don't see what difference that makes (but maybe I will if you enlighten us).

I've already said i thought it was well presented and well put together and that if it's meant to be promoting you then it does the job. What additional compliments are you after?
    Tim

Blog Entries

I've got to go with Tim and Midnight on this one.

It wasn't as enjoyable to watch as it could be because the presenter loves himself a little bit too much. This is more of a "pretty boy in Manilla" video than a video about Manilla. Unfortunately he's not charismatic enough to carry the video and not quite pretty enough to rely on looks alone. He seems a nice enough guy but lacks the sparkle necessary in a good TV presenter. He comes across as worrying too much about how he looks, which is disconcerting for the viewer. The idea of a "guide, showing off the place is not bad (although it's been done a hell of a lot) but you need someone who can get the viewer to empathize with them. Unfortunately your presenter doesn't quite manage this as he comes across as rather vain.

The videography is o-kay. Nothing spectacular or original but nothing horrendous. There are a few focus issues and one or two compositional issues. The shots with the presenter are quite nicely composed but some of the other stuff, the "B Roll" could do with a bit more attention. When doing the "atmosphere" shots the cameraman needs to take as much care as when doing the presenter shots. It's almost as though the cameraman has put all the effort into the "piece to camera" and then quickly got some "B roll" to pad out the video. This is how it comes across anyway. It should be the other way around, get the interesting stuff, the locals, the atmosphere, the ambience and then worry about the talking head.

So. It's acceptable but not brilliant I'm afraid. Your director needs to learn to take a few more risks, be more creative and not so "safe".