Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest music video

Default Latest music video

Hi

Hope you enjoy our latest music video. All the music and composition is our original creation as is the video and animation.
    Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions as to how it was created.
    Primary video editing application was Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate.

If you like it then please also check out our other videos on the same Youtube channel.

Enjoy !!!

Dave

It is customary to show the singers face in a music video.

Apart from that it's not a bad effort. A good mix of animation with the live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It is customary to show the singers face in a music video.

Apart from that it's not a bad effort. A good mix of animation with the live action.
    There were specific reasons that we couldn't show the singers face which made creating a music video more of a challenge but hopefully that didn't spoil the overall effect.

I know she was singing into an acoustic screen but couldn't you get her to sing to a backing track after she had recorded it, so that you could film her from the front ? OR is she under a witness protection program.

The music and vocals were recorded separately and mixed then overlaid onto the video. The choice of shots was nothing to do with the placement of the mic etc.
    The reason was more to do with being allowed to show her face, though I should say she isn't (to my knowledge in witness protection). I would imagine that singers not wanting their face shown in videos is not that un-common, but anyway that's the circumstances we had to work under.

Incidentally this was the first project that I had done in Pinnacle Studio 16 and I was hoping that the unlimited video tracks would make life easier (which it did). However I came across a design fault in Studio 16, they have removed the ability to see the time positions based on the clip's timing when trimming a clip etc. ALL timing codes are shown relative to the master timeline. So for example if you take a section of an AVI file from 0seconds to 10 seconds, then move it to 1 minute into the movie project the time will show as 1:00 to 1:10. This is a major pain when working on several video files each time coded to the same time point. If you move one out of sync there's no way of telling (apart from it sounding wrong).
    Fortunately I wrote a routine to analyse the studio project file to identify these errors.

6. Default

Hello,

Quite like the song, and the concept for the video, but I too have a bit of an issue with not directly seeing the singers face. I think its a human connection thing, for me it works on a psychological level, I'm drawn more into the track if the singer appears to be addressing me or at least show most of their forward profile. Evidently, this was a situation you had to work with, so I can't criticise, I think you've done all you could have done, but I disagree with the fact that its commonplace - I'm pretty sure either singer will refuse to be in the video full stop, otherwise, if they're in it then they'd expect their faces to be shown.

Getting back to the video itself, what software did you use to create the 3D maize and the water? They look pretty good.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mysticjim View Post
    Getting back to the video itself, what software did you use to create the 3D maize and the water? They look pretty good.
    Hi Jim,
    Glad you liked it, I'd agree that having the singers full face would be better for all the reasons you give plus a whole load more. but we couldn't so we didn't. In some ways I actually found the challenge of making a video with those restrictions more interesting. On some levels it would be less of a challenge (i.e. easier) to just have a 3 minute video of a pretty girl's face singing, but life's seldom easy is it

Back to your question though, the maze animation was created in 3D Studio Max from Autodesk, which is professional 3D animation software. I'm no expert in it but I have colleagues at work who are so they helped me with the finishing touches to improve the look.

Dave

Blog Entries

So next time you're faced with a similar situation, don't show the musos at all, but let the video tell the story as showing tantalising glimpses of the singer is clearly worse than not showing her at all.
    I enjoyed it.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So next time you're faced with a similar situation, don't show the musos at all, but let the video tell the story as showing tantalising glimpses of the singer is clearly worse than not showing her at all.
    I enjoyed it.
    I really appreciate all the comments, but I'm a bit surprised at how much of an issue not showing the singers face is being taken as. First of it really was out my/our control so whilst I agree showing her face would have been preferred I'd make a comparison with a holiday video I did a few years back where an aerial shot from a helicopter would have been the best way to show off the landscape but it just wasn't going to happen.
    We didn't take the option of not showing the musicians at all because we wanted this to be a music video as opposed to a piece of video set to music, I've made lots of videos over the years and set them to music. As mentioned in the original post we all play in the band and wanted the video to represent the fact that we created the music not just the video.
    Bearing in mind that we want to make more of these and we want them to be music videos in the top of the pops sense (showing my age a bit) then I would appreciate any ideas of how we could show the singer in the video without showing her face. As I mentioned it's a challenge and but challenges are there to be overcome and I think just not showing the band members at all is taking the easy way out.

All realistic ideas welcome (I don't think my CGI abilities or budget would run to a life like singing avatar !!!)
    Thanks
    Dave

Blog Entries

My opinion of the video changed when I read you're part of the band. Great effort for having a go and creating something original. I think we're all mentioning the "half appearance" of the face as it goes against what's deemed aesthetically pleasing. It creates a disturbed look that unsettles the viewer - particularly us video wannabes that are used to picking up subtle discrepancies in films.

great Job. Can I ask where I could buy the music?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast