Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jam Dilemma - first short film!

1. Default The Jam Dilemma - first short film!

Hello all, just uploaded my first short film to my channel! Please tell me what you think! There is a little more explanation of it in the description. THANKS!
    youtube.com/watch?v=ZioE42Xv-m4

Firstly, even though you uploaded in a HD resolution. The image quality was a bit poor. Did you render it out in a low bit rate ? I would like to see it again if you can get it up in a better quality. There is a lot to like about this but there was a lot of the usual beginner mistakes. Things like the reflection of the camera in the toaster. I don't want to go into to many technical things and overwhelm you. There are some points I'm sure you know already. Editing wise it wasn't bad but I felt it needed to be a little more sprightly. We didn't get into the real story (opening the jar) until about half way into the video. I'm sure you're a bit camera shy like a lot of us but it would have been nice to see a sense of satisfaction on your face as you have your reward at the end.

I like that you used your own music, you created an easy to follow narrative, tried to be inventive with camera shots etc. So there is a lot of good points about this.

Well done.

Blog Entries

I quite liked the fact we didn't see your face - so there's a diversity of opinion for you However, I agree with everything else Midnight says.
    I think the music was fantastic - it made the film.

I was a little unsure what happened at the end. When the lid came off, I thought it was the same jar, but then I wondered if i'd missed something and you'd picked up another jar so I had to go back and look again so perhaps it missed something to make it really obvious (I think possibly the cut from putting the jar down after bashing the lid, to you examining the writing on the jar led to this ambiguity).
    Tim

I quite liked the fact we didn't see your face
    I agree with this up until the very end where I thought it would have been nice to see a look of satisfaction from over coming the adversity. Something like this perhaps.

I liked your idea and filming. Im not a story-teller, but your video showed me that all simple things are able to turn into good simple stories. The music was really good to the story. But...why dilemma??? The options were just to eat or not to eat jam, not a dilemma....

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Firstly, even though you uploaded in a HD resolution. The image quality was a bit poor. Did you render it out in a low bit rate ? I would like to see it again if you can get it up in a better quality. There is a lot to like about this but there was a lot of the usual beginner mistakes. Things like the reflection of the camera in the toaster. I don't want to go into to many technical things and overwhelm you. There are some points I'm sure you know already. Editing wise it wasn't bad but I felt it needed to be a little more sprightly. We didn't get into the real story (opening the jar) until about half way into the video. I'm sure you're a bit camera shy like a lot of us but it would have been nice to see a sense of satisfaction on your face as you have your reward at the end.

I like that you used your own music, you created an easy to follow narrative, tried to be inventive with camera shots etc. So there is a lot of good points about this.

Well done.
    Yeah I wasn't sure how to not get my reflection in the microwave, or the toaster if you noticed that one.The way I exported was rather weird and I think that added to the low quality which I noticed too of course. I used h.264 compression because youtube always has trouble uploading .mov files. How can I improve the quality. And yeah I agree with how long it took to get to the main part of the story. I would've liked to either shorten the first half or lengthen the second but just decided to leave it. Thankyou so much for the tips!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    I liked your idea and filming. Im not a story-teller, but your video showed me that all simple things are able to turn into good simple stories. The music was really good to the story. But...why dilemma??? The options were just to eat or not to eat jam, not a dilemma....
    Haha ah yes. I struggled with the title for quite some time until I realized that I had already rendered it out with the title "The Jam Dilemma" and since it took an hour to render with the magic bullet looks applied I opted not to re-render it haha

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I quite liked the fact we didn't see your face - so there's a diversity of opinion for you However, I agree with everything else Midnight says.
    I think the music was fantastic - it made the film.

I was a little unsure what happened at the end. When the lid came off, I thought it was the same jar, but then I wondered if i'd missed something and you'd picked up another jar so I had to go back and look again so perhaps it missed something to make it really obvious (I think possibly the cut from putting the jar down after bashing the lid, to you examining the writing on the jar led to this ambiguity).
    Thanks! I didn't even realize that I never picked the jar back up!

Using h.264 should be fine for YouTube videos. I think you may be selecting a very low bit rate, this is what's probably killing the image quality. Try an match your project properties with the original footage and when you render keep as close as you can to these settings to maintain the image quality.

I think having magic bullet looks is wasted if the over all image quality is so poor. You may be better off improving your camera/lighting techniques and you will find less and less need to tweak the image with effects to make it look ok. This will shorten your rendering times.

Once you have mastered the basics, then you can add the cherry on top.

I thought the story line was great. It flowed into a sort of suspense as to what happens next. I took the ""The Jam Dilemma" Title relevant to trying to remove the lid. After trying different methods it came off easy after reading the instructions. Like press the centre of the cap first. (Do we ever read the instructions first). That was a well thought brilliant touch, made the video for me. The sudden change of camera angle on the cutlery draw looked like it came out of the ceiling. Brilliant job look forward to seeing more creatives like this. Well Done!

Looks like you have a well stocked fridge. Keep an Eye on those sell by dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast