Thread: Worked out DVD rip method.

Default Worked out DVD rip method.

Firstly, apologies for not contributing very often. Also if this is in the wrong section.

I have home movies which were long since transferred to DVD, but from which I'd like to extract some short clips. Also, my TV tuner will save copies of broadcasts in DVD format.

A few weeks ago, I bought a gadget from Novatech called Kworld Professional DVD Maker USB 2.0 which is supposed to rip DVDs. Needless to say, it was rubbish.

Anyway, the program they supply is an old, out of date copy of Cyberlink Power director. It's also rubbish.

But, I discovered that it will rip a DVD directly, rather nicely. Pop the DVD into the computer drive, run the Cyberlink program and click Capture. It will load the DVD which can take about 15 mins or so. Then, click the Record button. It will record a copy of the DVD in mpg format. Apart from that, it doesn't do anything useful.

There was a broadcast recently, where a number of musical acts did a turn. the program lasted about 2 1/2 hours. I recorded this onto a DVD and it was successfully extracted to a 3.5 Gb mpg file.

As you can imagine, a file that big is a bit unwieldy, and I fancied extracting a few clips anyway.

Ages ago, someone put me onto a program called Format Factory. Google it. It will quickly convert the format of images, movies and audio, from one format to another. You run it, click the format you want things to be and a screen will open where you load the file. There is a button Options which highlights once the file is loaded. This opens a small sample screen which strangely has a very low sound output. But, it is possible from this to extract a small section of the video and even reformat it.

All in all, the deteoration is image quality, while still apparent, is hugely better than any other method.

Dexys Shes got a wiggle - YouTube (I can't seem to embed this link, so you'll need to click it).

Anyway, hope this helps some and if the mods want to move this post please do.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.