Thread: Sony Vegas - Video Frame Size is not Supported

Default Sony Vegas - Video Frame Size is not Supported

I started having a problem where I can't render any videos with the resolution I need.

I've been making gaming videos for a few months now, all with the resolution of 854x480 since that's what works best for YouTube. All of a sudden, and without touching the settings in any way, it's now saying "The video frame size is not supported" when I try to render. I would use a higher resolution, but I use some pictures which are also exactly 854x480, if I change it at all,, the pictures won't look as good. I know it has nothing to do with the pictures or videos because when I loaded an old project file that I've previously and successfully rendered with the exact same settings, it gave me the same "The video frame size is not supported" error.

I don't see how there could possibly be anything wrong with the settings, but maybe there's some sort of problem that appeared magically or at least an alternative I can use, I dunno if that makes sense, I've really run out of ideas. I tried changing format, and I tried restarting my computer not that I know why it would do any good.

I'm using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0
    My render settings:
    Mode: Quality VBR
    Format: Windows Media Video 9
    Image size: (Custom)
    Width: 854
    Length: 480
    Frame rate: 25.0 (PAL)
    Seconds per keyframe: 5
    Quality: 100%

This is troublesome. I tested your settings in my version of Vegas (12 Pro) and it worked fine.

Did you use a template that you always used ? Have you had any changes to your system such as graphics driver up date or codec changes ?

I did use a template actually, and I've had no changes to my laptop at all, unless buying a few Steam games count as changes.

There must be something that is relevant and different to before it stopped working. We just need to identify what that might be. Did you do some sort of system optimisation. Have you or one of your "stream games" altered the screen resolution setting. Not that I know if that would make a different.

If that's a no go, you could try a system restore to a point before you had the problem. If that doesn't do it un-install and then re-install Vegas.

Failing that. Sell your laptop on E-bay and buy 50,000 editing suite, I'm sure that would solve this problem.

I tested with the same settings in VMStudio Platinum 10 and it worked fine, as in MB's test. It just changed the 854*480 setting to 856*480. I used a 500 laptop
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    I tested with the same settings in VMStudio Platinum 10 and it worked fine, as in MB's test. It just changed the 854*480 setting to 856*480. I used a 500€ laptop
    Thank you! I tried changing it from 854x480 to 856x480 and it rendered just fine. I even checked my older videos and they were also 856x480. I don't know why Sony Vegas stopped automatically changing the resolution, but I blame YouTube for asking for a resolution that doesn't even work.