Thread: fixing object to moving background. Vegas.

1. Default fixing object to moving background. Vegas.

working on an intro project and i'm stuck.. still very new to Vegas.

I have a logo that falls into the picture by the use of keyframing and lands on a background (different video track), upon impact the background shakes which I accomplished with a combination of film effects>jitter and some keyframing of rotation and x/y.

My problem now is getting the logo to move around exactly as the background does, or attach itself to the background so it appears that the logo has landed on the background and moves with the background throughout the resulting earthquake or shake.

How can this be done?

Quote Originally Posted by bush league View Post
    My problem now is getting the logo to move around exactly as the background does, or attach itself to the background so it appears that the logo has landed on the background and moves with the background throughout the resulting earthquake or shake.
    I understand what you want to do. I get it. And all of this is possible.

What version of Vegas are you using? I'm on VP12, and for some time now (maybe back to VP9?) we've been able to apply Parent Motion to any number of Child Tracks. And that, right there, is what you need to do. You need to apply your Earthquake Motion to Parent Track Motion of a NEW, "empty", Control Track and have the 2, Logo+Video, tracks be controlled by that Parent Track.

The Parent/Child Controls are ALL in the Track Header.

NB:To have the Logo Start Off not shaking, you need to add a further NEW Track above the Parent Track during the descent of the Logo and smoothly fade out and Fade in the "shaky" Logo - which would now be on Track3.

So, here's the Layout:

Track1
    - Stable descending Logo. This will be affective UNTIL you have it "land" in place.
    Track2 - Parent Track Motion Control "Earthquake Track". This will give Earthquake shake.
    Track3 - Child Track (shaking) Logo. This will be affective WHEN you have had it "land" in place.
    Track4 - Child Track (shaking) Video

Totally doable!

.. . ..
    Last edited by Grazie; 01-02-2013 at 08:41 AM.

3. Default

Thank you for your response. Im using pro 11.

Couple problems I am having.

1)Currently the shaking background is created by two video clips each with their own pan/crop keyframing and event film effects.... which are applied to the events not the track.
    Can I copy and paste all the keyframing onto the parent track motion? If so how? I spent a lot of time on the keyframing and don't want to do it all over again. Also the child tracks can have effects either on their track or event but will only share the effects applied to the parent track correct?

2)There is a video track with smoke/dust puffs that occur when the logo hits the background. This track is sandwiched between the logo and background. To keep this I guess I'll have to create two parent tracks, one for the background and one for the logo both with the same shake keyframing and place the smoke track in between. Or is there a way to place the smoke track in one parenting group for proper z space but without being effected by the parents shake keyframing?

I hope I have explained this clearly. The terminology is still new to me.

Thanks

4. Default

I ended up spending a couple hours manually changing all the keyframes on the different events to match the background shake keyframes. Was tedious and confusing at times.

Now that I know about the parenting technique, I will apply any keyframing to the parent from the start and I won't have any of the issues I explained in my last post.

Thanks

I hate to say this now you have spent a long time doing it manually but you can just right click the track and select duplicate track. This will copy all the keyframes onto a new track along with everything else on the track.

Ah, don't feel too bad MB:
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I hate to say this now you have spent a long time doing it manually but you can just right click the track and select duplicate track. This will copy all the keyframes onto a new track along with everything else on the track.
    Because our chum latterly dropped the essential piece of info that:

1)Currently the shaking background is created by two video clips each with their own pan/crop keyframing and event film effects.... which are applied to the events not the track.
    I would have suggested the same as you, but here the KFs were applied to the EVENTS and not at TRACK LEVEL. And we ALL know that you can't Copy>Paste EVENT Level KFs to TRACK Level.

The Event FXs could be saved as a Plug-Chain and then THAT could be have been applied at TRACK LEVEL.

... . ....

8. Default

This was my first attempt at an intro from scratch so I'm in the middle of a big learning curve, I did a lot of uneccessary work because I didnt know how to do some things in the correct order. Live and learn.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. This is a great forum.

And thanks Z Cheema for that corner pinning video, thats awesome stuff.

And thanks Z Cheema for that corner pinning video, thats awesome stuff.
    I haven't watched the tutorial, but if it requires the purchase of that fine product, then do you have $595 for BCC? Look here for a price Continuum Complete: Sony Vegas Pro Filters and Transitions Plugin

However, you DO have Vegas Pro. My "solution" was based on the tools you already possess.

About learning what you can do in Vegas - yeah . . Always, always . . . I wish I could recoup my time=s from this, writing here and other places. But it is all good. What else ARE you gonna do?

.. ......