Thread: Mountaineering video

Default Mountaineering video

I did a little showreel of some hiking sites we opened in 2012. The source videos are really bad because they were made with GoPro HD mk1 without stabilisation, because You really can't brint the stabilizers when You are hiking :( , but I did try to use the as best as possible. What do You think?

Last edited by handelic; 01-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Sorry this didn't really do anything for me. I didn't think the music was right for the piece. It went on too long for a lot of very similar shots. Some great mountain scenery but I gave up on the video half way through.

I think you have a fantastic subject to produce wonderful videos. You will probably just have to plan ahead a bit more, like fixing the camera somewhere and then walk to/from camera; panoramic shots, but stable ones, etc. A tripod is probably out of question because of weight, but you can probably adapt your walking sticks to receive a GoPro fixture and make a fine monopod. Then insert some images from the GoPro attached to the backpack to add movement....but just a few shots, as much shaking gets tiring. Beautiful place to hike! At Vimeo, search for a guy called Sebastien Montaz.... He makes some wonderful movies from the Alps. Worth watching all of them!

Thanks for comments!

I am going to look up this guy on Vimeo.

Just adding to more movies for comments, of slides this time...mayve both of You could give me some critics about them?

Hi Handelic,

just checked your other videos at Vimeo. I prefer Requien to this one you posted here for example.... Still a lot of shaking that, although it´s part of the reality of hiking, get´s a bit tiring for non-hikers-watching. Maybe it´s not a "problem" to who was walking with you, but we (simple watchers) get quite dizzy Another point, if you let me, is that the videos are a bit long... It´s not that they are not interesting, but people will rarely spend more than 3 minutes watching. If you get my canoeing videos, 2 years ago they were 10 minutes long, but now I try to keep under 3 or 3.5 minutes, unless I have more diversity of images that, maybe, will keep the attention for a bit more...

Ha ha ha the same thing I am trying now! To make them 3-4 minutes long, but so many nice things You need to kick out

every single shot could have been cut shorter to make a really good vid here. for example - approx 2.34ish in you amble up the mountain (I say amble, it was probably quite tiring!), see your friends, then turn to see a cloud wisp over a rocky cliff top. That cloud is your bit of gold, cut the rest out, you don't need the walk up, theres plenty of better shots of walking elsewhere in your footage, you don't need other people taking photos of the view, keep the peole interacting with you, leave the rest out. Go back through the vid and look at every single shot then Brutally cut out the mess, leave the cool shit and go from there. You'll have your 3min video, probably less then that.

also, (i forgot to add). Seriously consider wether you need those transitions, with the music and the thumps you've put in there I would look at hard cuts for much more of the vid.
    Last edited by fuzzymuffin; 01-02-2013 at 10:36 PM.

thanks fuzzy...it gets really frustrating when trying to sinc hard cuts with the music or something like that...after a few hours I just get tires and then make transitions because then they seam like a better solution... I have so much people in the shots because they are all my friends so I wanted them in...

I will try to use Your critics for the future

BTW fuzzy, is this one too slow? http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...showreels.html
    Now when I look at it seems it is :(