Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mpeg4 very jerky after import, what to do?

Default Mpeg4 very jerky after import, what to do?

I recently got a cheap vivitar video camera and imported some clips onto my pc. The clips were very jerky either playing back on the vivitar software or the windows media player and windows movie maker. The files are tagged as mpeg4 and play back fine on the camera. Is there anything that can fix this?

Sounds like you need a bigger better computer.

Nope its a good machine.

Do other mp4 files play correctly on your computer?
    Do the files from the camera play correctly on another computer?
    What model of camera are you using?
    Have you tried "Mediainfo" or "gspot" to see whether the files use an unusual codec.
    What size are the files, and what resolution?

I don't have a clue what the problem is.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 01-01-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: doubled a word

5. Default

I've had lots of experience with windows media player being jerky when playing back hd video files. I would go with what Midnight Blue said. Or you could try vlc media player.

It's a software problem. The manufacturer of your camera has put something onto part of the video, probably to report back, over the net, that you're using it. The video palyback is trying to access something and is not getting a response.

Have you installed all the software the camera manufaturer supplied?

If you have then suggest you uninstall and reinstall.

And this conclusion is based on ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
    The video palyback is trying to access something and is not getting a response.
    That's extremely unlikely. What would make you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    And this conclusion is based on ?
    I'm sorry, I was basing it on the news a while ago, that some malware and spyware writers were embedding their commands into web based videos.

I had also previously learnt the same about some pirated videos which people were downloading.

I appreciate your point about a bigger better computer, but that is a bit tired as a reason. I might also point out that unless it's going to end up being one of those boy's who's got the biggest one, there really is no way of confirming the claim. It's just a dismissal. My attempt, at least, offered some suggestions of where to start.

For the record, I don't have any special experience or qualification, I'm simply trying to learn and pick up as I go along. If I learn something I pass it on and hopefully others will as well.

Spacial, I refer you to the comment I made to you in another thread about reading the OPs post. His footage came straight off his own camera and therefore the theory of "spyware writers were embedding their commands into web based videos" is not relevant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast