Thread: Trimming/Creating New Clips, 6.5 vs Premiere Pro

Default Trimming/Creating New Clips, 6.5 vs Premiere Pro

Back when I was using Premiere 6.5, creating a smaller clip from a larger one was a fairly simple thing. I'd mark in and out points, and drag just the section I was interested in into a new bin, and rename the clip. I'd still have the original larger clip, and now I'd have a small clip that *only* embodied the video between the in and out points.

In Premiere Pro, I can repeat this process -- but the original video clip is never forgotten. While the clip I plop down on the timeline may look like it has been trimmed, if I apply a transition with too long a dissolve, for example, Premiere uses the rollback from the original clip, and I end up with frames of footage involved that I wanted to make sure would never be seen.

Despite the trim window, and razor tools, I can find no comparable way in Pro to create a completely new, independent, smaller clip, which has no memory of its larger, original self. Has this feature been removed, or am I missing something basic?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

if I apply a transition with too long a dissolve, for example, Premiere uses the rollback from the original clip, and I end up with frames of footage involved that I wanted to make sure would never be seen
    I think you'll find that this would have happened in 6.5 too; it's just the very nature of using dissolves. The solution is simply to move the end (or the start) of the dissolve further away from the adjacent clip.