Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what background music

Post what background music

hi all i am just wondering if anyone has got any idea on what back ground music i can put on a holiday video that was filmed mainly on the beach i have tried scorfitter and smart-sound in pinnacle 15 also some downloaded songs but they just don't seem to be suited and now i have ran out of ideas suggestions please

I usually spend 2 to 6 hours looking for the music I want in a video.... It will set the mood and speed of the video. Of course you already have the images in your head, some editing ideas to them etc.... and that will narrow the choices over groups of music (classical? rock? instrumental only? etc).

When you say beach, a light tempo comes to mind (check this one I made few weeks ago: . As I didnt want important voice overs, just the sound of the waves breaking, some singing was ok).
    I

added: dont ever forget to give good (really good!) credit to the music/performer on the video! I always look for (singers) musicians that are working hard to show their good work (look at SoundCloud.com and BandCamp.com), I always BUY the EPs with the music Ill use straight from their websites/blogs so they know you did it, and I always post my results on their Facebook pages/blogs. Many times I ask first. Even more popular singers will be pleased to have their music on what is important to you, a fan.
    Last edited by TonyBR; 12-31-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Youre right.... Its not easy to add lyrics as they may bring a different story into your video. I just highlited the singers to "wrong RED" above, as i meant musicians.... But, on the other side, many strong scenes on movies are backed by music lyrics, although they last only 5 to 10 seconds and drop to a fade....

Another option with lyrics is a foreign language (like english to me or portuguese to you) where there is no story, just extra vocal sounds.

Choosing music demands a lot of work....

thanks for your replies I think I have just had an education on background music. I am going to just add sound effects, and give the music a miss on this one but thanks for your ideas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    added: dont ever forget to give good (really good!) credit to the music/performer on the video!
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? But interestingly it's not always the case.

The BPI licence which is issued under the excellent IAC Copyright clearance scheme (which allows you to use any commecially available music provided its strictly for amateur use and you own a copy of the music for a very small annual subscription - UK only, I'm afraid) specifically states:

b) The names of all instrumental groups, bands, orchestras, choruses, solo artists and/or performers shall NOT be identified in subtitles or credits etc.

I suspect this is so as not to give any suggestion that the artist(s) endorse the work and or to prevent dubious advertising practices (eg PINK FLOYD play DARK SIDE OF THE MOON to Tim Stannard's Christmas Video).

But most up & coming artists would, I should imagine, want a nice big credit.
    Tim

I know nothing about the rules in UK, PRS, PPL, PqP or whatever.... Seems too complicated, as usual with laws in UK.

Of course I meant "new artists", the ones that will like having their music played for less than 2 billion dollars.... The ones that are not slaves of big record companies, the ones that post their music for free or affordable prices under more "natural" CC rules.... And, above all, the ones that reply e-mails of amateur videomakers like us asking if they would allow/like the intended use...and say "yes, sure!!"

So much good stuff from nice worldwide people available.... and, if Im reading the right stuff at sites like Bandcamp and SoundCloud, they much prefer this way: out of all this bureaucracy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I'm interested in that one because although the web page states:
    The Rights to be cleared cover:

• The Rights of composers and arranger

The rights of the composer are represented by PRS - NOT PPL, and there's no mention at all about PRS?
    I always thought PRS was to do with the location the mosic was performed.

Anyway, the Limited Manufacture licence, which I use if I'm selling DVDs of my daughter's ativity play, and which weddin videographers would use in the UK, covers:
    "The LM Licence covers...

• The copyright in the Musical Work (MCPS)
    • The copyright in the Sound Recording (PPL)"

No mention of PRS - although the LM licence is administered by PRS for Music, which is the Performing Rights Society.

So, the IAC licence covers exactly what the LM licence covers (and BPI as well). So I guess we're OK and you'll still get your 6.33!

On another note, I don't think anyone in this thread was suggesting that royalties should not be paid, just that there are (often very good) alternatives where the composer/performer is happy just to get their music aired.
    Tim

Dear Paulears, im sorry if I said something wrong. Mostly because I agree 100% with you. Professional musicians work with music and live out of music. No musician have to give music for free! Im a huge music consumer and I always pay for the music I have, never using free downloads etc. And yes, Im a misinformed person on what big record companies do with their artists, since Im not (or have ever been) part of any. Many musician friends here are linked to smaller recording companies and are quite happy and, if they ever have a chance to move upwards to big companies, Ill try to follow and learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    On another note, I don't think anyone in this thread was suggesting that royalties should not be paid, just that there are (often very good) alternatives where the composer/performer is happy just to get their music aired.
    Thanks Tim, thats what I should have write.

My best example for this alternative/option is the one from a well known composer for amateur videomakers, called Kevin MacLeod. On the next link you may find some interesting opinions from him (a professional musician) on the subject: Free downloads - Royalty Free Music

From my real experience with this musician, all I can say is that:

1) YES, I made a real $$$ donation to him via PayPal (and he was kind enough to send me an e-mail with thanks)
    2) I follow step by step the only thing that he asks from me to use his music: crediting
    3) Since I really like the way he "works" his music to get it spread, I always credit more than the basic stuff he asks for, and include links, etc.
    4) If I ever sell a video, I WILL ask him to quote an original score and Ill be extremely happy for doing that.

Blog Entries

You're right, Paul, it is complex. But from looking at the PRS site again, as well as confirming that PRS is responsible for MCPS and PPL licences. PRS is, as you suggest, responsible for the public performance whereas PPL is responsible for the reproduction on recorded media.

"Performance" in this context does not simply mean live performance, but also performance of recorded works (ie anything from a "club" to "music on hold").

It seems PRS covers the public performance on behalf of the writers, arrangers, composers etc (but not the musicians or owners of the recorded work) - and has nothing to do with reproducing these works orn recorded media.

PPL ensures that the owners of the copyright of the actual recording that is being used get paid.

MCPS would appear to be what covers the writes, arrangers, composers etc for the use of the recorded work.

Perhaps you need to become a member of MCPS?
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast