Thread: How to make video's look professional in Avid Newscutter

Smile How to make video's look professional in Avid Newscutter

Hey first time poster here!

I am studying journalism, so the only editing software I have access too is Newscutter. I have been making some live sessions, as seen here Preston Sessions - YouTube . They look pretty good, but I want to make them look as professional as possible, Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do in Avid Newscutter to improve the quality of my videos?

Thank You very much.

What is it about the quality you think needs improving ?

If you actually mean the image quality, you need to start with the camera. The editing software is going to do very little to improve a badly shot image. The best you can do is a little tweak with the contrast, may be a bit of soft focus to get rid of the grainy look BUT doing that probably won't help. The camera work in your link is ok framing wise but it looks like the camera was set on auto. Learn to use the manual settings this will give you a better image once you learn how to set the exposure and focus correctly.

^^ Using a camera on auto is akin to taking a gorgeous christmas dinner...and cooking it all in the microwave.

Once you learn how to use the manual settings...amazing things start to happen!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What is it about the quality you think needs improving ?

If you actually mean the image quality, you need to start with the camera. The editing software is going to do very little to improve a badly shot image. The best you can do is a little tweak with the contrast, may be a bit of soft focus to get rid of the grainy look BUT doing that probably won't help. The camera work in your link is ok framing wise but it looks like the camera was set on auto. Learn to use the manual settings this will give you a better image once you learn how to set the exposure and focus correctly.
    I tend to only use the auto setting when I am going to be using the camera a lot, because the sessions are filmed live and in one take (with two cameras) I don't want to miss any of it. Do you think it would be better to use the manual settings even though i will be moving the camera every 15 or so seconds? Thank you

Yes. It may take you a while to get use to shooting this way but I think when you get it the results will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    ^^ Using a camera on auto is akin to taking a gorgeous christmas dinner...and cooking it all in the microwave!
    Actually it's more like buying a $700 leather jacket and scrawling "Led Zeppelin" across the back of it using a ballpoint pen.

Fair play!

try to cut down on the zooms. shoot your establishing shot... zoom to close up but edit out the zoom, perhaps with a cut away . probably more difficult with a solo performance like those in the link but can break up the monotony. get really close in ... eyes, moth, fingers strumming
    really like the shot 1.32 to 1.43
    Last edited by enc; 12-30-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933