Thread: What kit do I need to film home interiors smoothly (jib / slider ?)

Default What kit do I need to film home interiors smoothly (jib / slider ?)

Hi guys,

I would like to create some 'video tours' for a few buy-to-let properties I own, similar to the ones found here:

ShootHome Bringing Homes to Life - PropertyMovies

...what kit do I need to replicate these lovely fluid motions? Some scenes track forward at the same time as tracking down, so I'm thinking they have some sort of slider/rail system but as it also tracks down possibly a jib on top too. However they are operating in very confined spaces so surely not enough room for jib. Plus it's not all that practical. Any ideas what they are using to do it?!

I would be mighty grateful if someone could give me the heads up what I should kit I need to replicate the effects in the above videos. My cam is a 1080p Panasonic X900 with 29mm wide-angle lens.

Many thanks in advance,
    Al

Tripod and glide track, looks like that's all they used pretty much. Theres probably a fluid head on the track, the track can be tilted up, down, at an angle and combined with the fluid head will give the impression of a slight jib without the expense and training.

Ah, tilted track, seems obvious now you point it out! Thanks. On several scenes the camera is panning too whilst gliding, so I'm thinking tipod > tilt head > glide track > fluid head > camera. I would pan camera on fluid head as I am 'gliding' it. Correct?

Alternatively I wonder if I could put fluid head below glide track and move the whole lot? Or would that look bad?

Blog Entries

Possibly because I'm more aware of the camera than the average viewer, I found those camera movements with the wide angle lenses very distracting - the slight barrelling of the image in movement made me feel seasick. Where this effect wasn't so noticable (less of a wide angle lens, movement into rooms etc) I thought these shots looked superb. Just something you might bear in mind if you get into this sort of work!
    Tim

Can't say I noticed the barrelling effect, all the verticals sorta . . looked vertical Obviously a good wide angle lens is needed, but apart from a good tripod head for veeeeeeeeeery smooth pans and tilts, the forward/reverse motion can be achieved by pivoting the tripod legs back/forward on to 2 of the legs, giving a good 2 foot of forward/reverese movement. Very smooth when practised.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Can't say I noticed the barrelling effect, all the verticals sorta . . looked vertical .
    True! Barrelling is the wrong term. I've no idea what the correct term is, but it's that wierd look you get when you pan with a wide angle - the edges dont pan at the same rate as the centre of the image. It's not dissimilar to the disorientating effect produced by a contra-zoom.
    Tim

My track is positioned stationary on a tripod, locked at whatever angle I want the track to be, then I have a fluid tripod head attached to the top of the track to control movement of camera whilst it tracks.