Thread: My 2012 Showreel- Leave feedback and post your reel!

1. Default My 2012 Showreel- Leave feedback and post your reel!

Finally got around to wrapping up my Showreel for the year- the credits for each are in the video description, but basically I shot everything in there, and the only thing I didn't Direct is the Ill Mind of Hopsin 5 video as well as the one with the car, both of which I 2nd AD'd. (and of course the concert footage) This is my first time actually putting together a showreel, so i'm pretty interested to see what you guys think-

I'd love to gather some feedback, as well as return the favor and check out some of your reels! Thanks guys!

I find doing showreels are a very difficult thing to do so take my advice with that in mind. Look through your show reel and take out anything that is just ok. Your showreel should only contain your very best stuff. For example the shot of the cat at 0:37 it's kind of interesting but should have the cats face in focus for it to be a really good shot.There are other examples of focus searching in some of the shots. This may be a stylise thing for you but should be obvious so that someone looking at your showreel knows you can keep focus when you want.

There is another issue I found which was repetition of shots. Fr example the rapper with the contact lens kept coming up. While it looks cool the first time to repeat similar shots so often isn't such a good idea. I think what we are seeing is a lack of material to fill 2 mins of video. You could half the length of the showreel or the way I got around this was to just going out and find a nice/interesting looking shot and just shooting it. Look for an unusual angle of a building or unusual looking person. Anything that is a little different.

Best of all look for extremely stunning looking women they always work well in adverts. That may be a sad indictment of todays society but it seems to be a cold fact. As all you need is a few seconds of some one or something you don't need to take up a long time with it.

The final thing is the sound mixing. This is, for me, a troublesome area. I think spending some time mixing other sound elements along with your music track will help to life the images. I'm not holding up my showreel as a great example but if you listen to the sound track you will pick up all sorts of sounds relating to the images that I put in.

Hope this helps.