Thread: The Mysterious Backyard

Default The Mysterious Backyard

My 1st attempt at a short film, starring my girlfriends kids and our adopted 6 month old puppy Allie. How is it for a 1st try? Thank you.

When filming kids always try and shoot at their level, looking down on them creates a different mood. I noticed you did that sometime. While this piece is not exactly Gone with the Wind, I'm sure the kids had fun doing it. Once they get use to being in front of the camera and stop smiling all the time you will be able to get a more realistic performance from them.

Thanks for the tips MB, I did catch myself not crouching down here & there while filming. This was both of their first times "acting", so they definitely were on the smiley side, and I tried to get them not to look at the camera as much as possible. The whole thing was thought up, filmed, edited, ect. in about 3 hours total.

I understand this was a bit of fun and should be kept fun for both you and the girls. Once it starts to get too "serious" about it, then you have lost the real reason for doing it.

They definitely had fun making it, and love watching it! I'm already thinking of how we're going to do "Return to the Mysterious Backyard" after this latest snow fall. I am going to get one of those snow brick makers for building a better set, and probably use some of my tripods since it gets tough to stay down at their perspective constantly while filming.

ha ha .... the black dogs expression is class !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933