Thread: Get any Equipment for Christmas?

Blog Entries

Default Get any Equipment for Christmas?

My son bought me the perfect present - a Rode PG2 pistol grip. A perfect present because whilst I consider such basic and boring things essential, they also seem so overpriced for what they are i could never justify buying one for myself.

I treated myself to the upgrade from Vegas to Vegas suite. Played with Sound Forge Pro and have been really impressed with the Sony Noise Reduction plug-in (it's always een highly rated). I'm no soundie, but I'm immediately getting very usable results - to the extent that I am now redoing my daughter's nativity play recording which i thought I'd put to bed and was ready for teh duplicators.

I anticipate lots of fun this year playing with HitFilm.

So, what did you get? Make me jealous!
    Tim

I got bugger all this year but I did get my camera just before Christmas. I'm like you when it come to "not buying" things that are unreasonably expensive for what they are.

I got a Go Tab (cheapie). Very handy for quickly showing stills and video to clients. USB input, 32gb SD card storage/input and nice quality images. Young clients love the touch n play screens, so hopefully another slideshow/video sale add on to the pack . . . once I master the cockpit
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Unfortunately, my wife, kids, and friends avoid buying video toys for me - I'm too picky... so I have to do it myself... Hero 3 black edition is what I treated myself with this time... One other non-video related thing I really enjoyed getting this Christmas was a pickling set (made of clay) my wife gave me - not sure if you'd understand, but this is an awesome thing!

An ipad 4th generation (my first ipad).....and talking about over priced accessories, just shelled out £25 on the so called USB camera adapter lead.

this enables thde ipad to read usb cards from my cameras but more importantly connect a USB midi keyboard to access music apps.
    Last edited by enc; 12-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

First of all, I hope you all had a great Xmas.... The big full dinner I mean!!! Video toys...... hummmm, not this Xmas it seems! Many dreams, no money..... Got all my gifts in June it seems!! :( But wife bought a nice new Nikon D600 for her....that I´ll just have to "borrow" for timelapses sometimes!!!

Happy new year to everyone.

I got a Panasonic X900 off of my wife.

Hope it's a good one. It seems OK to me and I have used it a little over Xmas and the picture and sound seem good.

All I have to do now is learn how to use it properly and get some editing software

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diabolic View Post
    I got a Panasonic X900 off of my wife.

Hope it's a good one.
    Is that a quote from Lennon about the New Year? Oh, you mean the camera!

I used a couple just before Christmas in less than perfect circumstances (indoor school production with only the rear half of the "stage" lit.) Unsurprisingly the static camera left on "auto everything" didn't cope too well, generally over-exposing, but the one I was "manning" did a great job. In a more camera friendly situation, it produces a great picture and is the "good" consumer camera of choice for many.

My biggest gripe is the fact that it's virtually impossible to turn the multi function ring without getting your fingers in the way of the lens - answer - use the lens hood! My other biggest gripe is that the menu functions stay on the LCD for far too long, blanking off the left hand side of the image you're recording after you've made an adjustment.

Have fun with it and get to grips with the manual controls - especially exposure - auto everything else seems to work wuite well.
    Tim

I sold my Sony Z5 and bought a much needed rig for my 7D and some much needed lenses which I've been meaning to do for ages. I also got some essentials like additional cards, rain coat and battery pack. Just looking at audio options for day to day work - looking at a beach tek DSLR pro.
    More of a present to myself at the only time of year I could afford (in time) to switch around cameras Much happier now