Thread: New promo video (tried to replicate style of BET/TeamBackPack Cypher Videos)

1. Default New promo video (tried to replicate style of BET/TeamBackPack Cypher Videos)

What's up guys! I'm not sure how many of you follow underground hip-hop, but TeamBackpack does these "Cypher" videos such as: Raw Funk Volume TeamBackPack Freestyle Cypher (Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, Jarren Benton, SwizZz) - YouTube

They're actually holding a contest right now, and myself and Florida hip-hop artist Zach Tromp have put together this entry video. We used a Canon 5D Mark II and Glidecam vest system. Due to me still not having access to any light kits, we're still forced to utilize a natural light source, the sun. Also, we had about ten minutes to shoot this before I had to catch a flight to Texas.

All in all, i'd love to gather some feedback on the general style of the video, thoughts on our use of natural light, and of course, we want to hear what you think of his entry! TeamBackPack Contest 2013- Zach Tromp - YouTube

You can also catch Zach's old house in director Harmony Korine's ("Kids") upcoming film with Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, and James Franco, "Spring Breakers". He personally worked one-on-one with Harmony and his location manager to set up the shoot at his house, along with being in a few scenes that hopefully make it through the cutting room floor.

You're better than this. You're previous video showed you can do better. Unless the talent is exceptional, just pointing a camera at someone shouting into a microphone isn't going to do it for me. It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with what you have done, it's just everything I want people to move away from because it's been totally done to death.

So the technical side seemed ok, lighting etc. but the content was for me, was pants.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You're better than this. You're previous video showed you can do better. Unless the talent is exceptional, just pointing a camera at someone shouting into a microphone isn't going to do it for me. It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with what you have done, it's just everything I want people to move away from because it's been totally done to death.

So the technical side seemed ok, lighting etc. but the content was for me, was pants.
    Definitely an understandable response man, I don't believe you follow hip-hop religiously so you wouldn't really understand what we were going for- In hip-hop, there are things called "cyphers", hosted on BET, where a group of people gatrher around in a room and just pass the mic off to one another as they take turns- take a second to check a couple them out real quick- Hip Hop Awards '12: The Cypher- Mystikal and Others | Hip-Hop Awards | Videos | BET

The contest that this video is for is called TeamBackPack. take a look at this video by them, it's the same style. It's meant to be simple- and since it is their contest, it's a great way to grab their attention by paying homage to their style . TeamBackPack / Funk Volume Cypher 3 - Hopsin - Jarren Benton - Dizzy Wright - SwizZz - YouTube

a point-and-shoot is literally what all the professional versions of these are anyway, just more people and indoors. Hopefully you see what we were going for now, but best believe my next actual music video is going to be aweosme haha appreciate you checking it out man!

Ha Ha, I follow the Hip Hop scene like you follow cricket, not at all.

I get what a cypher is now and I see what you are going for and how your video mimics theirs BUT don't copy them. It's like voting for a politician, Don't vote, it just encourages them.

I'm only messing with you. Have a great Hip Hop Christmas.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ha Ha, I follow the Hip Hop scene like you follow cricket, not at all.

I get what a cypher is now and I see what you are going for and how your video mimics theirs BUT don't copy them. It's like voting for a politician, Don't vote, it just encourages them.

I'm only messing with you. Have a great Hip Hop Christmas.
    lmao! i'll have to remember to always post the references like that in here, sometimes I forget that not everyone knows about the hip-hop scene that much lol.

Thanks man, and have a merry christmas!!