Thread: Dual Xeon Conversion Software

1. Default Dual Xeon Conversion Software

Ive just got a dual Xeon PC, 32GB RAM - super fast, but does anyone know any software programs out there for encoding that uses both cpus at 100%, as the ones Im currently using (Xilisoft, Handbrake etc) only go to around 34%
    Thanks

I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 and when rendering it uses around 98% CPU. I think this could be more to do with setting up your system rather than your editing software BUT I'm not familiar with your software so I can't say for sure. In the Task manager if you right click on a process you can set the affinity, which tells the system which processors to use. I would have thought this would be set to all as default. You could also look at Priority this may also help.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 and when rendering it uses around 98% CPU. I think this could be more to do with setting up your system rather than your editing software BUT I'm not familiar with your software so I can't say for sure. In the Task manager if you right click on a process you can set the affinity, which tells the system which processors to use. I would have thought this would be set to all as default. You could also look at Priority this may also help.
    Thanks for that I'll have a check. Ive also noticed a few programs crash, whereas if I run them on my i7 PC (single core) they run fine. Same Windows 7, same software etc - is there combatability issues with dual processors or using a workstation board or doesnt it matter?

I'm really not expert enough to answer your questions but I assume having i7 or xenon chips shouldn't make a difference to the operating system, so long as you have the correct drivers. One thing that might help others to help you, is knowing if it's 64 or 32 bit versions.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm really not expert enough to answer your questions but I assume having i7 or xenon chips shouldn't make a difference to the operating system, so long as you have the correct drivers. One thing that might help others to help you, is knowing if it's 64 or 32 bit versions.
    Both system are 64bit which is why Im puzzled. I think somethigns installed on the i7 machine that isnt on the Xeon, despite updating it.