Thread: 'Is This It? (Our Last Short Film For A While!)

Default 'Is This It? (Our Last Short Film For A While!)

Hi Everyone,

This is our most recent short film (I think that it's our best short film to date) focussing on the meaning of life and what it's all about. This was shot on practically zero budget with a DSLR.

I filmed and edited this in the space of a couple of weeks. It was shot on location in Aberdeen, Scotland. Comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

I think you've made a good job of this. I like a bit of "what's it all about" stuff. I think it was very well filmed and edited. The only thing that could have made it better is a bit of sound design. The music works well but it could also do with some ambient/Foley sound.

Other than that I think you've done a great job.

Thank you, Midnight. I always appreciate your comments and you're very kind watching my work consistently, like you do with so many others. Thanks once more!

Fantastic !! Very nicely shot and edited, nicely paced .. Your best one so far I reckon.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Thank you very much! I would agree that it is our best one!

6. Default

I can't say this is your best one because I haven't seen the others, unfortunately, but this is a very nice work! Like Midnight said, it could use a little bit of sound design, but I get how difficult that is. My work always lacks sound design, hehe. It's a whole different science!

PS: I laughed @ 3:10 when you grabbed your camera to get it out of the water. I'm gonna guess it didn't stop working

Blog Entries

Agree with all the above - you made an excellent job of this.

Content wise, it engaged me at first. Just at the point where it started to get rather "samey" for me, you lifted the whole film with the "but life isn't all about work. The subtle waming of the colours and the not so subtle positive shift in the music all contributed to the canhe in atmosphere.

But then sadly we just got more of the same: some not so nice bits of life and some nicer bits - without any development and the film consequently rather dragged. Not only was there no development, but there was no conclusion, no opinion or even an attempt at explanation. I don't mind that - but the film was far too long if you're not going to offer any of the those.

Sorry if that sounds overly harsh. It was very well made. But the content didn't warrent the length.

(BTW I also didn't really see it as a drama)
    Tim

Thank you both for the comments!

Re:Tim, I understand your views on the film, and I respect that. It won't be to everyones taste but we deliberately went for a film that asked questions rather than answered them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gdn35 View Post
    Re:Tim, I understand your views on the film, and I respect that. It won't be to everyones taste but we deliberately went for a film that asked questions rather than answered them
    I understand that and I too like a film that asks questions and leaves the viewer to ponder.

What I perhaps failed to get across was that I felt you had done that perfectly well in the first couple of minutes and then you rather spoiled it by repeating the theme. It felt like you were hitting me with it until I submitted rather than either concluding there and leaving me to work it out for myself or elaborating upon it.
    Tim