Thread: Local christmas market - again, trying something new -

Default Local christmas market - again, trying something new -

Christmas markets in my area are quite famous, the one in my hometown is not the biggest (this would be Strasbourg, most likely), but it still transpires that particular spirit. I, personally, am not a big fan of this, but I thought it'd be a good challenge to try and capture it on film anyways. So here it is

It's quite nice, the one thing that I think would lift it is having ambient sound. This would help with communicating the atmosphere.

Some nice close up work and people shots.

3. Default

Midnight is almost always pointing this out and he's really right: ambient sound not only helps, it makes the piece more realistic. He says the same thing about some of my videos, and I've said before that this is one thing I myself have to get better at. How to record it, when and how to use it, etc. I also think this could have made your video even better.

And I'm saying "even better" because I believe that this is a really good work. Even though you don't like the Christmas Market, you did a pretty good job in showing it to your audience. I have to point out some shaky shots though, where it seems like you've hit your tripod during the movements (1:37). Still, overall, really nice job

Blog Entries

It's great to get out and try to shoot something we're not really interested in. I know I should do it more. I think you captured this pretty well. i liked the nice warm colours and the use of darkness without giving a harsh contrast.
    Tim

thanks for the comments guys. I thought of adding ambient sounds too, but the actual sounds weren't good enough. Then I thought of adding other ones, but that wasn't until the whole editing had been done.

A very nice video and a beautiful guitar piece overlay. I can understand you not using the original ambient as they are usually a mish mash of various music tracks in each location you filmed at, but why not try capturing any 'clean' busy street/market sounds and use this sparingly over the final edit. It will give it a little more polish.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Beautiful shots! Liked the one from 1:23 to 1:3x with the lady smiling.... good Xmas feeling. I´m a no-ambient sound "sinner" too....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    try capturing any 'clean' busy street/market sounds and use this sparingly over the final edit.
    A great tip that we can all use.
    Tim

Just notice the OP's surname - Is your first name Finan by any chance?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club