Thread: Very basic questions for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (new to video editing)

1. Default Very basic questions for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (new to video editing)

Hi,

I eventually want to learn how to use Adobe Premiere to its great potential, so I decided to first start out with just trimming and/or combining clips on this powerful program. I have a few questions:

1. I was able to "trim" a clip by dragging and using the Selection Tool on the timeline, without using "in" and "out." I also don't really know what ripple, roll, slip, slide is, but I can Google those terms myself. How do I export the trimmed clip?

2. Will exporting the trimmed clip be in the exact same format/quality of the untrimmed clip? If not, is there a way to trim a video without losing its quality at all? I know accomplishing this task with CutAssistant is easier, but I want to familiarize myself with Adobe Premiere. CutAssistant doesn't met me do frame-by-frame--only every 3 frames of trimming and even then, the product of the trimmed video doesn't seem as accurate as it says it is (I noticed a few frames off).

3. Right now, it seems I'm exporting a clip. It's taking an awfully long time compared to me using CutAssistant (which I know doesn't affect the quality of a trimmed video because all it does is trimming). It says encoding... what does that mean?

Thanks.

You have found the trimming tools. These are very well described at Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Trimming clips (CS6)
    The quality/format of an untrimmed clip is not affected by trimming. The quality of the final output depends on your choice of rendering format/codecs/settings. Adobe also hosts some good video guides, such as http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-prem...-premiere-pro/
    'Encoding' is described here - Video codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia