Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conversion From HD to DVD

1. Default Conversion From HD to DVD

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding my wedding movie. I am not the editor but I want to make sure with the editor that he uses the best available alternatives regarding the following issues:

1. Is it possible to convert the video movie to a watchable DVD format so that there will be a separation between the audio channels? (so that if in the original video file that was recorded in the camera there was a separation between channel left and channel right, this separation will remain the same in the DVD format). The editor told me that it is not possible regarding DVD format but I want to verify it with you it sounds strange to me that it is not possible if it was recorded originally in this way.

2. If a video was recorded in a DSLR format (HD), and I want to convert it to a watchable DVD and to keep the maximum available quality - what preferences should be defined during the conversion process (if there are any such standard parameters)? I know that the DSLR format's quality will be any reduced somewhat when converting to DVD but I want to understand what are the preferences that will keep the quality at the highest possible level.

3. What is the most reliable backup format that is available today for video that was recoreded in a DSLR format (HD), so that it will be kept without losing quality for many years to come?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries

If the original video was recorded with stereo sound, then the transfer to DVD will preserve the stereo sound.

As with all digital video, quality is largely dependant on the amount of data (information) that's recorded. The more data you record, the more space you take up on the DVD. You can get around two hours of video at the lowest data (bitrate) setting. To ensure you maximise quality, you can vary the amount of data recorded for any given scene (variable bit rate).

I would recommend archiving in the original format.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    If the original video was recorded with stereo sound, then the transfer to DVD will preserve the stereo sound.

As with all digital video, quality is largely dependant on the amount of data (information) that's recorded. The more data you record, the more space you take up on the DVD. You can get around two hours of video at the lowest data (bitrate) setting. To ensure you maximise quality, you can vary the amount of data recorded for any given scene (variable bit rate).

I would recommend archiving in the original format.

Thanks for the response. A few follow-up questions:

1. The original video was recorded with stereo sound, but it was recorded in a digital file of DSLR (not on a tape). The editor says that when he converts it to DVD formant the sound automitcally goes in "mono-mix", so that the two channels that were separated are mixed together and channel left and channel right will play the same sound. Are you are aware of any such limitation when converting stereo sound to DVD?

2. If you can be more specific in how to maximize quality I will be grateful (such as specific quality preferences). I want to give direct instructions to the editor.

3. I do want to archive in the original formant, but if the original format is a video file (of any kind) there is a question on which hardware it is best to archive it. I need to understand what is the most reliable source of archiving - hard drive, DVD, DVCAM tape or any other format that if I will open it within 10 or 20 years I will still be able to watch it in the same (or similar) quality as today. I personally afraid that data on hard drive can be deleted or destroyed relatively easily (such as if there is a technical issue of the hard drive), and therefore I tend to consider DVD or DVCAM as safer formats for archiving. But I may be totally wrong and would appreciate your comments in this regard.

I think Marc has answered points 1 & 2. I would just add on point 3 it would be a good idea to have two copies of the original footage as back up if it is valuable footage.

Blog Entries

It's unlikely that any if the formats you mention will last more than 20 years. As suggested, you need to implement a back up plan, and move your data onto the latest formats when possible.

6. Default

I looked at the DVD video file preferences in the TS_Video folder.

Video: frame width 704, frame height 576, data rate 9500kbps, total bitrate 9692kbps, frame rate 25 frames/second.
    Audio: Bit rate 192kbps, channels 2 (stereo), audio sample rate 48kHz.

Does it seem to you as good quality for a DSLR video that was convereted to a DVD video file? Is it possible to have a better quality in a DVD video file (what is the maximum possible quality)? Thanks.

I don't think you could do any better as a DVD player will struggle to process DVDs at higher bit rates, some (older ones) won't cope with anything over about 8000kbps.

The one thing I'm not sure about it the width of 704, that's not a standard size, it's usually 720.

Blog Entries

704 is part of the standard, but yes, you could use 720.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I don't think you could do any better as a DVD player will struggle to process DVDs at higher bit rates, some (older ones) won't cope with anything over about 8000kbps.

The one thing I'm not sure about it the width of 704, that's not a standard size, it's usually 720.
    May the 704 or 720 issue relate to differences between 4:3 and 16:9 modes? Or is it not related to this issue?

Also, I assume you referred to the quality of the video file in your response. How does the quality of the audio file seem to you -- is it also at the highest possible quality in DVD (as the video file)?

Thanks, your insights are very helpful.

Yes, the audio seems good as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast